Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subdiv

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado
Quote from the linked article:

"Instead of getting your beats per minute every 10 minutes regardless of what you're doing, its new default behavior is to check only when you're staying still."

Why? To see if I'm dead?
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
So so stupid. My arm is never completely still for 10 consecutive minutes unless I'm sleeping. The only way I can get heart rate data is if I manually check it.

erure

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
I thought it was that way in 1.0 as well?

No, it used to check every 10 minutes regardless of what you were doing. This update is so stupid. It only checks my heart rate every few hours now instead of every 10 minutes.

daydayvol

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Why is it that important you get a reading every 10 minutes? If you are that unhealthy and worried about your heart rate, go see a doctor.

----------

Was this done simply as a battery saving measure?

My guess would be yes.

setite

macrumors regular
May 29, 2014
It seems reasonable to check your HR when it detects a change in activity. An arbitrary 10 minute check isn't useful if you've been sitting for 30 minutes. But a minute after getting up to walk around is a good time to check it again. I'm sure for caloric calculations the every 10 minutes proved wasteful.

ssimonvii

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
In my opinion, they are starting to realize just how bad the HR monitoring is, to a point where it could be a liability.

I noticed that the IR sensor's readings were super inaccurate (it showed my HR at least 30bpms higher than I knew it was pretty often with version 1.0). Now, it definitely seems more accurate, but it's because you have to be completely standing still to get a reading!?

So far, the HR monitoring is a big fat failure. I have been so excited for months to use my watch for productivity at work, and then turn it on at the gym to get a fairly accurate HR. So far, it's been all over the place... it is worse than the $150 alternatives out there (or $50 chest straps).

Also, I have screenshots of their support page about HR monitoring sampling. I bought the watch for this sampling feature, and now it doesn't take the heart for over 4 hours at times. Now this is just false advertising.

Something is obviously wrong and Apple is trying to put our a fire.

Reactions: rpramanik

setite

macrumors regular
May 29, 2014
In my opinion, they are starting to realize just how bad the HR monitoring is, to a point where it could be a liability.

I noticed that the IR sensor's readings were super inaccurate (it showed my HR at least 30bpms higher than I knew it was pretty often with version 1.0). Now, it definitely seems more accurate, but it's because you have to be completely standing still to get a reading!?

So far, the HR monitoring is a big fat failure. I have been so excited for months to use my watch for productivity at work, and then turn it on at the gym to get a fairly accurate HR. So far, it's been all over the place... it is worse than the $150 alternatives out there (or $50 chest straps).

Also, I have screenshots of their support page about HR monitoring sampling. I bought the watch for this sampling feature, and now it doesn't take the heart for over 4 hours at times. Now this is just false advertising.

I get my watch in two days but that makes sense. HR monitors are often finicky without really good contact. I would like to see them integrate with a wireless chest strap for exercise. You guys should be very vocal about this and perhaps 1.2 or 1.0.2 will give us a toggle.

----------

Because maybe you want to see what times of the day you were most active? Lol.

Well if it takes readings when it detects movement then you will get nice activity correlations. Though I'm not understanding the still thing.

PhantomProf

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
I was initially angry about this but I now think it makes sense. Resting heart rate is important to monitor as is heart rate during exercise. In between doesn't matter (for most) as much. EXCEPT for recovery response after exercise - Apple should incorporate that and then I'd be happy with HR monitoring.

daydayvol

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
I mean yeah, but it's nice to have all the data recorded. At least it maps out active calories during the day.

I totally get where you are coming from but to me it isn't a big deal. I get everyone is different.

I just would like to get my watch so I have something to complain about other than not having it yet. #

----------

I was initially angry about this but I now think it makes sense. Resting heart rate is important to monitor as is heart rate during exercise. In between doesn't matter (for most) as much. EXCEPT for recovery response after exercise - Apple should incorporate that and then I'd be happy with HR monitoring.

Just asking. Can you do a manual check after a workout?

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
Because maybe you want to see what times of the day you were most active? Lol.

Why do you need to know your heart rate for this, surely you can see this from when you do most steps. If you do exercise, presumably you'd use the workout app which will record heart rate regularly anyway so this is s none issue.

setite

macrumors regular
May 29, 2014
I trust Apple on this I think. But the thing that concerns me is why it didn't ship with this change. If it's purely an algorithmic logic change it should've decided on during R&D.

proshots4you

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2009
Seems when I excercise the HRM never updates unless I manually check it which is a PAIN.....used to work beautifully on 1.0 but 1.01 seems to have broken this??
For example, my HR after excercise used to average 135 and now at best it shows 100 or less after each workout #

J.C

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2008

Surely your experience is in the minority? I've found the heart rate monitoring to be extremely accurate. I think most people have. Any reviews I've read have been the same. Experiences in the forums here have been mostly positive. Didn't Consumer Reports say it was as good as any heart rate strap on the market? If you're getting dodgy readings I think you've got an issue with your unit.

Reactions: maconut

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I liked the check every 10 minutes feature because it gave me an opportunity to see what my heart rate was when I had moments of unexpected activity, like having to run to catch a bus, or I could compare my heart rate when walking rapidly vs walking slower after the fact. It may not have been useful information in terms of tracking overall fitness, but it was interesting info, and I miss having that.

Reactions: Thepixelsedge

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
This is quite stupid. I've had a pretty active day, at a few kids soccer games, out at the park, birthday party, running around for some errands in the evening. Looking at my HR history for today, it recorded it a total of 3 times from 8am to 8pm. It's nearly useless data.

PhantomProf

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
I don't think constantly monitoring heart rate is useful, from a medical point of view, for most people.

I'm sure you could activate the monitor during a cooldown period.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
The summary is, this silly enhancement only measures HR when we are inactive, and it ignores HR when we are active. Except when we tell it we are exercising. Kind of makes the HR function useless, if you ask me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.