Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming tvOS 13.3 update to developers and public beta testers, two weeks after seeding the third beta and over a month after releasing the tvOS 13.2 update.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the new tvOS 13.3 developer beta can be downloaded onto the ?Apple TV? via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

appletv4k2-800x691.jpg

tvOS updates have historically been minor in scale, focusing on under-the-hood bug fixes and improvements rather than major outward-facing changes. Apple provides little to no information on what's included in tvOS beta updates, so we may not discover any major changes after installing the software.

The update does, however, include a useful new setting that's designed to let you change the main banner interface in the TV+ app from What to Watch to Up Next, which shows content from shows that you're already watching instead of show suggestions.

The option can be accessed by going to the Settings app, choosing Apps, and selecting the TV app. From there, select Home Screen and choose "Up Next" in the "Top Shelf" section.

While we don't often know full details about what's new in tvOS during the beta testing process, we let MacRumors readers know when new updates are available so those who are developers can download it upon release.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of tvOS 13.3 Update to Developers and Public Beta Testers

Truckondo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
Does anyone know if Apple has fixed the Dolby Vision bug in iTunes movies? Some scenes look like the colors are inverted sort of like a film negative. It only happens on movies in iTunes. Disney+ and Netflix don’t have display issues in Dolby Vision.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Does the AppleTV app load large libraries yet, or are large customers still getting ignored by Apple?

Is the AppleTV app still littered with ads?

Fingers crossed they’ve fixed that app....

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
The update does, however, include a useful new setting that's designed to let you change the main banner interface in the TV+ app from What to Watch to Up Next, which shows content from shows that you're already watching instead of show suggestions.​
Never would have installed a TvOS beta but that banner thing was intolerable.
[automerge]1575602516[/automerge]
How about upgrading the hardware Tim? It’s OLD
Is it? What exactly are you looking to do that you can’t now? Genuinely curious.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
How about upgrading the hardware Tim? It’s OLD

It is old, 2 years and counting. But it’s still one of the most powerful tv box out there and it does everything up to today’s tv standard very well.

It plays 4K videos with any HDR formats, it runs Dolby Atmos and it also plays any Arcade Games really well. Ultimately it’s under $200 and on sale often. That’s a steal for an A10X device.

What else does it need anyway? Sure Apple can put in A13X chip here and then. But I don’t see the point.

dallastigers

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
TX
Is the AppleTV app still littered with ads?

Fingers crossed they’ve fixed that app....

I remember when this was promoted as being about what we watch and finding what we want across services and apps.
I really only control first line - Up Next. Next line is mixed with stuff I have to buy or subscribe to without knowing until I get details. On this and even rows from apps I use that come after Apple TV+ ads I have I have no way of removing stuff I have zero interest in. Just because I include access to an app for a couple of shows to show in Up Next now that it’s back on main screen doesn’t mean I want to see anything else from this app especially when I can’t remove or down vote anything. My provider app is way off on what channels i subscribe to so half shows listed i can’t watch even if i wanted too. Additional rows of Apple TV + or Movie store ads and then multiple rows of categories I don’t care about or care very little about and again no way to remove or give a thumbs down on individual items within rows.
So the app for us has become the one row for us in an app for Apple TV+ & whatever else Apple wants me to watch. If they hadn’t added back Up Next across top of main screen I would be back to not using it for anything.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
The tv app is seriously messed up now , just pushes the Apple new stuff and won’t allow me to play my own shows . Have to go back to the iTunes tv app.

really poor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.