Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jorgk

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
must be depressing being on the team of elves who fix last year's broken gifts.

Hm - I am more than happy if The Wichtelmänner deliver me that stable OS (10.9.5), stopping me from running an immature system and going through incremental upgrades, having each time to setup essential tweaks again (enabling TRIM, stop lidwake + hibernate, not leave ".xxx"-files on windows shares, etc.).
Happy to come back when 10.10.5 comes then ...

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Nope, that requires the user (you) to stop pulling the plug on the External Disk without first unmounting the volume from the file system. :p

You need to do a little more research. Many! People are having this problem. Also, don't Assume so much. My drives are NEVER unplugged.

It's a common problem.

bobthedino

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
Nope... that is hardware issue...

Is this definitely a hardware issue? I've seen this sort of thing (specifically the display stopping working and "NVDA channel timeout" messages appearing in the log) start happening on a mid-2010 13-inch MacBook Pro (GT320M graphics) only after it was upgraded to Mavericks. It was previously running 10.6.8 without a problem.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Is this definitely a hardware issue? I've seen this sort of thing (specifically the display stopping working and "NVDA channel timeout" messages appearing in the log) start happening on a mid-2010 13-inch MacBook Pro (GT320M graphics) only after it was upgraded to Mavericks. It was previously running 10.6.8 without a problem.

I had the same kernel panic problem when I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mavericks. Initially I suspected Mavericks graphics error and filed a bug report to Apple. They got back to me by saying that my MBP has an open issue, which was supposedly rectified via a software update applicable from SL up till ML, but no solution on Mavericks.

Initially kernel panic when I use Mission Control with Microsoft Word active, but overtime the symptoms got worse. At this juncture my MBP was already 4 years old. Eventually I had to make some noise until Apple agreed to replace the entire logic board for free.

I would say it's a combination of hardware, and bad programming on Mavericks.

Last edited:

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I had the same kernel panic problem when I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mavericks. Initially I suspected Mavericks graphics error and filed a bug report to Apple. They got back to me by saying that my MBP has an open issue, which was supposedly rectified via a software update applicable from SL up till ML, but no solution on Mavericks.

Initially kernel panic when I use Mission Control with Microsoft Word active, but overtime the symptoms got worse. At this juncture my MBP was already 4 years old. Eventually I had to make some noise until Apple agreed to replace the entire logic board for free.

Can you test this issue on Yosemite (10.10) and see if it occurs there? It's possible Apple may have skipped Mavericks for the fix, and reintroduced it into Yosemite. I noticed a few fixes in Yosemite that brought certain OS aspects back to pre-10.9 (as in, back to ML) for fixes. (Time Machine, finally sticking to outside-/~ folders, like ML, hopefully staying that way 'til final release, I'm looking at you.)

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Can you test this issue on Yosemite (10.10) and see if it occurs there? It's possible Apple may have skipped Mavericks for the fix, and reintroduced it into Yosemite. I noticed a few fixes in Yosemite that brought certain OS aspects back to pre-10.9 (as in, back to ML) for fixes. (Time Machine, finally sticking to outside-/~ folders, like ML, hopefully staying that way 'til final release, I'm looking at you.)

Unfortunately ever since the logic board replacement the issue has not cropped up on Mavericks. So there's not way to test for sure even on Yosemite...

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008

So, you went to the Apple Store, spoke to the manager and convinced him or her? How did you do this? Since the machine is 4 yrs old, I am unwilling to pay to have the logic board replaced, plus I can't afford it anyway. And, there shouldn't be a window for their recall program for this particular machine.

Do you think it's worth it to go to my nearest Apple Store and try my luck? I know there's the big news with the 2011 MBP's and the class action lawsuit but do you think Apple Store Managers will also put Mid-2010 MBP owners with this issue in the same boat?

Thanks.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008

I wish this was true. I reinstalled or downgraded to my previous OS's again since I needed to do some work on my MBP. Well, I wanted to see if my Mid-2010 MBP could do the work, anyway. Suffice to say, OS X 10.8.5, OS X 10.7.5 and OS X 10.6.8 exhibits the same GPU-related Kernel Panic for my machine.

Damn it, Apple!

I was secretly hoping it was the OS or something with software. But, now I'm beginning to lean more on hardware. Although, KP's are software-related. So, you could still be right that there is a hardware-software issue happening with some Mid-2010 MBP's. Maybe, it's like deep software or firmware or bios that has something to do with Video. Like the Apple Mux Controller. I don't know what it is. But it's in all the console message logs.

I think I am going to do that fix thing I saw in one of the forums that makes the GPU use the main RAM or something and see if that does something.

I am really running out of options. I could reserve a Genius Bar appointment again and try to speak to one of the managers about the Mid-2010 MBP issue and see if they'll soften up and take mine for a free LB swap. But, for some reason, I don't see them budging. And, they shouldn't. Apple MBP owners with legitmate issues should not have to rely on luck in finding a really nice Apple Store Manager or using the power of insistence and mind-control jedi tricks to convince them for what should be a free service since they already admitted to the "Latent Manufacturing Defect" thing.

Whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.