Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One user notes that in Mac OS X 10.4, when printing a document the user is offered a "Supplies..." button which brings the user to an area of the online Apple Store which is labeled as "Demo" in the background.

The new area appears to allow the user to purchase printer supplies through Apple.

Sample Link

buggybear

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2005
huh, that sounds interesting, but apple doesn't carry EVRY printer cartridge around!

does anyone else have a link to the page? the 'sample link' has timed out.

wtmcgee

macrumors regular
May 21, 2003
Orlando
As long as it's not obtrusive, I suppose I can deal with it. But honestly, as much as we pay for our software and hardware, I don't think we really need Apple pimping their store to us.

If MS was doing this, we'd all be crying foul, for sure.

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
wtmcgee said:
As long as it's not obtrusive, I suppose I can deal with it. But honestly, as much as we pay for our software and hardware, I don't think we really need Apple pimping their store to us.

If MS was doing this, we'd all be crying foul, for sure.

As long as Apple keeps it unobtrusive and low key (as well as maintaining a large selection at low prices) I dont think it's too bad... I definitely don't want the OS to become a freakin' Apple billboard/banner-infested system though.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
HP, Epson, Dell, etc. now view supplies as the profit center and see the printers as the hook (which is why you have to investigate the printer supplies these days before buying a printer, especially something cheap.)

Apple selling supplies is tapping into this profit center, though the printer companies would most likely rather sell them direct now and cut out the middlemen.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
This is a nice feature.

But Apple needs to exercise self control.

If the Mac turns into an Intuit product which is littered with ads in a program you PAID for, I'm done with Apple.

But I am optimistic, at least as long as Steve is running the company. Apple has never sold desktop space, so one can hope...

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
It doesn't sound like it'll be any more pushy than the menu in iPhoto that lets you order prints and books.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
if i need printer supplies i know where to buy printer supplies. this isn't really that bad, but if it becomes a "Why not upgrade to quicktime pro?" every time i launch the damn application, i think people will get a little upset. i paid how much for the computer and operating system? and they're still going to nag me for $29?

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
FattyMembrane said:
if i need printer supplies i know where to buy printer supplies. this isn't really that bad, but if it becomes a "Why not upgrade to quicktime pro?" every time i launch the damn application, i think people will get a little upset. i paid how much for the computer and operating system? and they're still going to nag me for $29?
i actually downloaded a serial number to stop that.. i don't use the pro features of course, because that would be really wrong.. it just bugged me so much..

apple is not trying to make it hard for you and advertise. they are trying to make it easier for you so you don't have to go all around town to find a $30 cartridge for black ink. instead, as soon as you start to run low on ink, you click that button, and within 5 minutes, you have the cartridge on its way with free ground shipping that will arrive just as you need it.

ottergoose

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2005
Burnsville, MN, USA
Dell Does It

I was installing a Dell 3000cn color laser printer yesterday. When printing a document, a window popped up showing the toner levels and had a link to Dell's site, labeled "order supplies." Additionally, they place a shortcut on the user's desktop labeled "Order Printer Supplies." Whatever Apple's doing doesn't sound as bad as that...

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
With the huge number of ink cartridges etc. it can be confusing for some when it comes to knowing what they need to buy for their printer. It would be great if the print center took the type of printer that it is using (assuming it does) and links directly to the right supplies for that person. Although I am sure that the prices aren't any where near the cheapest.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
swissmann said:
With the huge number of ink cartridges etc. it can be confusing for some when it comes to knowing what they need to buy for their printer. It would be great if the print center took the type of printer that it is using (assuming it does) and links directly to the right supplies for that person. Although I am sure that the prices aren't any where near the cheapest.
Not the cheapest not the fullest collection. I buy both paper and cartridges from a Photo store as they have among the best prices for cartridges for my printer and a very large apper selection. Apple can match neither.

An unobtrusive order supplies button and/or menu item is fine. One that gets in my way is not. And I won't know that until I see how Tiger interacts with my printers. (One for generic printing and one for photos.)

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
FattyMembrane said:
if it becomes a "Why not upgrade to quicktime pro?" every time i launch the damn application,

bTW, what's with that? Quicktime is supposed to be one of those helper apps. It's all fine and good that they have a pro version with added features. But must it advertise every time, on an app that apple developed no less?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Le Big Mac said:
bTW, what's with that? Quicktime is supposed to be one of those helper apps. It's all fine and good that they have a pro version with added features. But must it advertise every time, on an app that apple developed no less?
Before I got QT Pro, I only got the nag screen every once in a while. The pattern seems to be time-based rather than launch-based. Yes, I'm buying a new QT Pro key come Tiger's release.

This isn't really newsworthy given the mention on Apple's Tiger page.

AndrewMT

macrumors regular
virus1 said:
i actually downloaded a serial number to stop that.. i don't use the pro features of course, because that would be really wrong.. it just bugged me so much..

I did the same thing. I could care less what the quicktime pro features are, I just want the message gone. Perhaps a petition should be started to remove this mandatory message for quicktime basic users.

If you buy Tiger, does the quicktime that was bundled with it still display the Pro message?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
If the printer supplies are at lower price, then I will probably use the service. Otherwise with shipping and handling might as well get it locally.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Sun Baked said:
HP, Epson, Dell, etc. now view supplies as the profit center and see the printers as the hook (which is why you have to investigate the printer supplies these days before buying a printer, especially something cheap.)

You mean like the $49.99 printer whose replacement ink costs $52.90? (Actual prices taken from an Office Depot recently. $24.95 for black, $27.95 for color, for an HP DeskJet.)

Of course, the printer only comes with 'starter' cartridges that hold half as much as the replacements; but the fact that you could replace the entire printer for less than the ink is scary. (That also means they value the printer itself at only about $25, since the included ink is half the volume as the replacement, so it should cost half as much.)

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
wrldwzrd89 said:
Before I got QT Pro, I only got the nag screen every once in a while. The pattern seems to be time-based rather than launch-based. Yes, I'm buying a new QT Pro key come Tiger's release.

This isn't really newsworthy given the mention on Apple's Tiger page.

The QuickTime Pro ad was once per session -- restart/user login -- and I couldn't stand it. I actually purchased 2 Pro licences, one Mac, one PC. (Actually, 2 Mac by mistake, but they happily refunded one and it continues to work). I have no qualms about supporting the QuickTime folks. QuickTime Pro has been great.

- full-screen playback
- save movies from browser
- conversion options

$30 is nothing.

Preclaro_tipo

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
coolfactor said:
$30 is nothing.

I am glad to hear this, too often people moan about the smallest amount of money.

this thread too, I know i could save 5-$7 dollars ordering from a new website each time I want to buy something, but who cares.

For me,
I prefer it to be easier rather than cheaper, so i like the link to buy printing accessories from apple store.

I like the apple store, ink sellers can be shady.

I only use the newest printers, so I don't care about that the store have the "biggest selection AND lowest prices". If you have my ink, and can ship now, if I need, I buy or I don't make money b/c i can't finish my work.

It would be nice to hear from people who actually make income from using their computer, not some user who bemoans each print for its cost.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
coolfactor said:
$30 is nothing.
$30 for something you don't want or need is a lot. if it cost $30 to become a MacRumors member, would you be here?

Preclaro_tipo said:
It would be nice to hear from people who actually make income from using their computer, not some user who bemoans each print for its cost.
ouch buddy. i generate income with my computer and the reason it stays income is because i don't throw money down a hole.

the issue here isn't "should i buy quicktime pro", it's whether or not "advertising" is welcome in the os. as long as it stays fairly unobtrusive (like "buy printer supplies" in the print dialog, or the "Mac OS X Software..." in the apple menu), i don't think people will mind, but there needs to be a clear line somewhere. anybody remember the banner ads in the old versions of sherlock?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.