Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonksAndDruids

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2022
Hi

Finally decided on getting the iPad Mini. Tried to order it last night from the Apple website but all units at our Apple Store were sold out with a delivery/collection date being the 12th of January. Went back on the Apple website 5 minutes ago and we had the option to collect it from the very same Apple Store this Thursday! Could this be a return unit? Thanks.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Hi

Finally decided on getting the iPad Mini. Tried to order it last night from the Apple website but all units at our Apple Store were sold out with a delivery/collection date being the 12th of January. Went back on the Apple website 5 minutes ago and we had the option to collect it from the very same Apple Store this Thursday! Could this be a return unit? Thanks.
If it's a refurbished unit it will be sold in a plain white box. Usually a bit cheaper also

MonksAndDruids

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2022
Ah nope, not a refurbished one. Just found it a bit strange how it was out of stock last night with a collection date of 12 Jan to it suddenly being available for collection in 2 days time!

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Ah nope, not a refurbished one. Just found it a bit strange how it was out of stock last night with a collection date of 12 Jan to it suddenly being available for collection in 2 days time!
Online inventory is never 100%. I'm sure Apple does a great job of figuring out when the product is going to be there but I don't think they're perfect. I've seen availability change like that with other items. At least in the USA I have. I can't speak for other countries because they might have a different system there.

Reactions: MonksAndDruids

MonksAndDruids

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2022
New issue (sorry). Ended up ordering it with the collection date being today. Went to check on my order and it’s stuck on ‘shipping to store’ despite there being units with the exact same model/configuration/colour being available in store. We haven’t received the order collection email either, just the ‘we’re processing your order’ email, the e-invoice, and the text message telling us to perform an iCloud backup before going down.

Today’s a free day for us to be making the trip into the city so if we were to go in will we be able to get one of the available units instead of the one that’s still being ‘shipped’ to the store? Thanks.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I am amazed that no one here has suggested the obvious thing that happened. The elves living in the Apple Store attic quickly made another unit.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
New issue (sorry). Ended up ordering it with the collection date being today. Went to check on my order and it’s stuck on ‘shipping to store’ despite there being units with the exact same model/configuration/colour being available in store. We haven’t received the order collection email either, just the ‘we’re processing your order’ email, the e-invoice, and the text message telling us to perform an iCloud backup before going down.

Today’s a free day for us to be making the trip into the city so if we were to go in will we be able to get one of the available units instead of the one that’s still being ‘shipped’ to the store? Thanks.
I'm not sure if it's the same where you're at but here when you buy something for pick up in store, you set a pick up time. This way, you know exactly when to go to the store to get it. I'm guessing it's not like that everywhere.

Now is probably a bad time to buy anything because of the Christmas rush and everyone buying stuff for gifts.

MonksAndDruids

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2022
Went to the Apple Store since we were going into the city anyway and the collection email popped up just as we were about to enter the store!

Have the iPad Mini 6 in purple now. My wife loves it, I love it, it fits into all our bags (and my pockets!) and we could not be happier. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.