Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared a new "Hometown" shot on iPhone video, which was made in honor of Black History Month. The video features the hometowns of visionary Black photographers including Lawrence Agyei, Gabriella Angotti-Jones, Lauren Woods, and Julien James.

Director Philip Youmans follows the photographers as they explore their hometowns. Chicago, Illinois; Los Angeles, California; Charlotte, North Carolina; and Washington, D.C. are featured.
In honor of Black History Month, 32 of the country's most visionary Black photographers show us their hometowns. Phillip Youmans, the youngest ever director to win at the Tribeca Film Festival, follows a number of our image-makers as they each celebrate the Black experience, Black excellence, love, and imagination.
Apple announced the "Hometown" initiative earlier this month, commissioning more than 30 black photographers to capture and share their hometowns with the world. As with all recent Shot on iPhone videos, "Hometown" was captured entirely on an iPhone 12 Pro.

Shot on iPhone is Apple's long running photo and video campaign that focuses on the iPhone's camera capabilities, with the company regularly sharing new videos and photos on the web, on YouTube, on billboards, and more.

Article Link: Apple Shares New 'Hometown' Shot on iPhone Video

YouKnowIamRight

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2021
Great that it's shot on a phone, but doesn't look so great. Anyone else feel like Apple is going a little overboard with BLM? It feels like overbearing virtue signaling lately.
It's in honor of black history month. The fact you are suggesting Apple is going overboard with BLM, and people are actually 'liking' your comment is disturbing.

As a black man, I have no problem with any tech giant virtue signaling, as after all it's for the greater good. Let's not be overly cynical.

Lastly, did you skip the fact the initiative features black photographers' work, which is obviously and materially advantageous for those 30 black photographers as part of the overall initiative? This is a very strong gesture from Apple, and literally nothing about it screams your silly idea that they are going overboard with BLM.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
Great that it's shot on a phone, but doesn't look so great. Anyone else feel like Apple is going a little overboard with BLM? It feels like overbearing virtue signaling lately.
Lots of great shots; interesting stories; well-produced video. I really enjoyed it.

As for the other questions… what a shame that one would even ask them. This isn’t the place for political discussions about BHM. It’s to discuss the videos and photos presented please.

Last edited:

YouKnowIamRight

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2021
Can’t they just say it was done by photographers

It's in honor of black history month. What is wrong with celebrating that aspect?

For example, Catherine Wood is the CEO of a strong and very well performing investment management firm. News platforms and industry experts specify the fact she is a woman as this carries significant weight within an industry dominated by men, as it inspires women like her to also make something of themselves within this industry.

Nothing different here.

Last edited:

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Ut
It's in honor of black history month. What is wrong with celebrating that aspect?

For example, Catherine Wood is the CEO of strong and very well performing investment management firm. News platforms and industry experts specify the fact she is a woman as this carries significant weight within an industry dominated by men, as it inspires women like her can also make it.

Nothing different here.
But if it’s about equality no one would dare say other way round, but I’m not gonna get into it

YouKnowIamRight

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2021
Ut

But if it’s about equality no one would dare say other way round, but I’m not gonna get into it

Do you actually think women have the same opportunity to succeed as men in senior ranks within investment / asset management? Trying to help you understand my point.

Please get into it, we would all be delighted to hear your point of view.

Captain Trips

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2020
I liked the choice of cities:
  • I spent the first few years of my life in Chicago.
  • Los Angeles was the first vacation my wife and I took after our honeymoon.
  • I lived near Charlotte after graduating from college, and my wife and I have good friends there that we like to visit with.
  • My wife got a chance to go to Washington DC (one of hr childhood friends lives there) and run in the Marine Corps Marathon.
And darn, that Pontiac Fiero is a sweet ride. It looks like it is in great shape, and that is the body style I like (better than the original body).

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2013
It's in honor of black history month. The fact you are suggesting Apple is going overboard with BLM, and people are actually 'liking' your comment is disturbing.

As a black man, I have no problem with any tech giant virtue signaling, as after all it's for the greater good. Let's not be overly cynical.

Lastly, did you skip the fact the initiative features black photographers' work, which is obviously and materially advantageous for those 30 black photographers as part of the overall initiative? This is a very strong gesture from Apple, and literally nothing about it screams your silly idea that they are going overboard with BLM.
I agree with you and am also appalled that the comment was made and that people liked it.

I found the stories interesting and will likely look the photographers up to see more of their work. I also appreciated hearing about the areas they discussed. I was a bit brought back by the effort to keep black and brown people from surfing... I will definitely look into that. Apple isn't even virtue signaling. If they were they would have made a commercial and moved on. Instead they have an initiative with a 100 million dollar guaranteed investment. They are doing quite a bit more than some organizations. I applaud them for that and agree that its for the greater good ultimately.

marco114

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2001
USA
On its own this is fine. The last several things Apple has announced has all been about virtue signaling. In other words, they are promoting how "black friendly" they are. Instead of just doing, they have a massive PR campaign behind it. It's less genuine.

Rojaaemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2016
Why does it always have to be about the cameras?

It’s Black History Month (in the US anyway, where it’s also called African-American History Month, but not in the UK, where blacks are celebrated in October. Looking forward to that.), so Apple celebrates “visionary Black photographers.” Why can’t it be about fabulous black composers who use GarageBand? Or the incredible black healthcare workers who use the Health app? Or even the highly professional black bus drivers who rely upon Maps and Weather?

I’ll just say it: the Camera app is privileged.

• Haha
Reactions: hagar

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
Why does it always have to be about the cameras?

It’s Black History Month (in the US anyway, where it’s also called African-American History Month, but not in the UK, where blacks are celebrated in October. Looking forward to that.), so Apple celebrates “visionary Black photographers.” Why can’t it be about fabulous black composers who use GarageBand? Or the incredible black healthcare workers who use the Health app? Or even the highly professional black bus drivers who rely upon Maps and Weather?

I’ll just say it: the Camera app is privileged.
They actually highlight a lot more than the camera app on their website:

Powerguru

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Has anyone watched advertisements lately? There is only one common theme. And that theme is out of scare of social media jail.
Acting out of scare will do no good to anyone.
Hope companies do much better at the grass roots level to fix the issues and not the symptoms. This is like taking a cough syrup to cure the cough when one has COVID-19.

nerdo

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2010
Deathstar Cantina
After 400 years of abuse there is no 'overboard', maybe in 2000 years when the issue have been worked out?
The fact you make this comment means there is a long way to go.
Overboard is what they did with hundreds of slaves so they wouldn't be captured illegally slave trade.

And here is a little life lesson to all the nerds who think it is in the past: there has never been more slavery and inequality than right now.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.