Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pweicks

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2016
USA
With how dynamic and competitive the wealthiest companies have been in their rankings as of lately, and considering that most of them are seeing record high values, we must have a pretty hot economy going on ?

Reactions: Codeseven

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
The Citi Analyst sounds alot like the other 3-4 "AAPL Cheerleaders" masquerading as so-called Pro Stock Analysts ... who know the others by their names, Munster, Ives, Huberty, & yes ALSO Cramer.

This new guy thinks AAPL is worthy of trading @ $300 based-upon AirPods & the Apple Watch.

The "Timmy P/E" is clearly needed on Wall Street, as it represents a company's Debt-Adjusted Projected Price to Earnings Ratio ... i.e., filters-off the Financial Engineering portion of a traditional P/E !

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
The Citi Analyst sounds alot like the other 3-4 "AAPL Cheerleaders" masquerading as so-called Pro Stock Analysts ... who know the others by their names, Munster, Ives, Huberty, & yes ALSO Cramer.

This new guy thinks AAPL is worthy of trading @ $300 based-upon AirPods & the Apple Watch.

The "Timmy P/E" is clearly needed on Wall Street, as it represents a company's Debt-Adjusted Projected Price to Earnings Ratio ... i.e., filters-off the Financial Engineering portion of a traditional P/E !
Apple could easily retire all their debt with their cash on hand—if Timmy were stupid.

But exactly what impact would you expect on P/E by reducing cash and paying off the bonds? You do understand those are balance sheet accounts, don’t you?

LuciusWrong

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2019
Never is it more clear that athletics are a metaphor for capitalism....then when "who is winning capitism" is the subject of articles like this. It says somerhing about our psychology, our attachments...and it is a bit weird to me. We all want our team to win, i guess... but i dont identify as being on Apples team, even though i use one of their products.

-posted from my android device-

norbinhouston

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Houston
Why do people care about apple stock prices, oh yea, it was used by the haters to hate on apple, but its backfired. You know, haters have to find the most arcane things to hate apple for because they know that the platform itself is rock solid. So they go for the periphery, like factory location, carbon footprint, conflict minerals, factory workers, stock prices, ceo personality. Its just so funny to see. Whereas the people who actually buy and use apple products are happily tooling along because the experience is so great.

Reactions: pianophile

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
Yeah, I was lucky that I invested in Apple starting back in 2004. Got to retire at a pretty spry 55 the other day. Dividends have been a nice bonus. Drip. :) Hindsight is 20/20, and I wish I'd bought a lot more. But I'm happy with what I got!

Awesome! I got in back in 1998 and bought some more along the way. Working my way to where you are (and what I want to comfortably retire with), but I think I can stop at 55 as well. Always important to be happy with what you have. My plan is to be philanthropic for things I care about and name the things I donate after people I've loved/lost for others to enjoy. That will make me truly happy. :)

Reactions: DocMultimedia

SkyRom

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2018
the Saudi's must still be using MagSafe, HDMI and SDXC card readers in their MacBooks to get a valuation that high.

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
Whilst the 1.7Bn valuation is interesting, I don’t think it’s realistic to value the company based on 1.5% equity.

If the remaining 98.5% was available, would they have been able to find investors to buy the stock? I doubt it.
Yes, and also adjusted values give 90s Microsoft the win anyway.

The only way people can get a win over Apple is by moving the goalposts.

Reactions: iGeneo

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
When even the Saudis are cashing out you know it’s time to get out of oil.

The valuation is questionable the IPO market hasn't been a smashing success lately. The problem with this company is that it is so greasy and sleazy even the worst crooks on Wall Street will have a hard time buying it. I am not joking talk about a stock with a stigma.

I bet Apple is worth more than this with in a year. But okay if you can plug your nose and ignore all the signs of oil being a massive investing mistake let's say a person buys it.

Massive risks in the area to contend with in Iran, America has a glut of oil and somehow every time they count the supply it seems there are a few million surprise barrels lying around, KSA is also known to be pretty incompetent in many affairs such as murdering people or even protecting their oil production facilities.

It wasn't long ago two average drones knocked out their production for what was it two months? Who wants a piece of that? Even then and with tensions with Iran running hot oil barely budged. The kingdom is dependent upon foreign workers to do the smart work for them. If sanctions ever come up kiss your money goodbye.

They were saying if you take energy as a sector vs others such as tech staples etc. the others have done around 300% +/- and energy was up 6% in the past decade.

Lower demand, yes cars don't account for everything but with the USA producing is not good for the price. Iran claims they found a huge reserve lately. If some deal with Iran comes up and that oil goes to market again not good. Venezuela isn't producing what it could if that comes online again bad news.

In spite of all of this oil is still low.

You would have to be a financially, self loathing, psychopath with no morals and no wish for prosperity to buy this when there is such easier and fuzzier companies out there.

Imagine sitting around the Christmas table chatting. One person says I bought DIS everybody loves fuzzy little baby Yodas. Next up is Apple who doesn't love the AirPods. Then we have AMZN who doesn't love one day shipping. Now it's your turn. I bought Aramco who doesn't love torture, genocide, and embassy bone saws and the caustic smoke of oil field fires?

Why anybody would touch this when there is much easier money to be had makes no sense to me. I will go out on a limb and predict this IPO is going nowhere fast. Apple will pass the 2 trillion mark sooner than most people think.

images.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: pianophile

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
With how dynamic and competitive the wealthiest companies have been in their rankings as of lately, and considering that most of them are seeing record high values, we must have a pretty hot economy going on ?

Most of these values are not actual company value directly, but market value. Meaning the total value of all outstanding shares if purchased.

The problem with this is that these values are often propped up because of stock price trading, which is not current performance based, but future performance based.

you cannot really determine the health of an economy by judging it by the stock market. all it takes is a dip in consumer confidence for billions of wealth to be wiped out.

A better barometer of a healthy economy is current consumer spending patterns. and right now, those have started to wane a bit as personal debt loads have started to impact spending behaviour.

Reactions: ipponrg

skipper63

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
Of course they collect cash now since it is inevitable that their black oil gold will see the end of an era. The house of Saud with an emperor who can order killings in embassies in other countries and get away with it will most likely use that cash to invest in future technology. And the shareholders will gradually over time lose money while the stock is going down. Smart move by the Sauds.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Huh, I always wondered how much Saudi Aramco would be worth. But it's certainly funny how the Saudis got upset when they didn't get the valuation they wanted.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Of course they collect cash now since it is inevitable that their black oil gold will see the end of an era. The house of Saud with an emperor who can order killings in embassies in other countries and get away with it will most likely use that cash to invest in future technology. And the shareholders will gradually over time lose money while the stock is going down. Smart move by the Sauds.

Wait until they start selling off more and dilute the shares.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Yeah, I was lucky that I invested in Apple starting back in 2004. Got to retire at a pretty spry 55 the other day. Dividends have been a nice bonus. Drip. :) Hindsight is 20/20, and I wish I'd bought a lot more. But I'm happy with what I got!

Think of all the poor souls who took Michael Dell at his word when he recommended Apple should shut down, sell all its assets, and return the money to investors.

• Sad
Reactions: DocMultimedia

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Word to the wise, Apple, like virtually every corporation out there, has been taking out low interest loans and epic tax cuts to buy back their own stock for over ten years now, thus artificially boosting share values. It’s great that you have made money from this corporate led, market wide Ponzi scheme (I too have benefited). You just don’t want to be stuck holding shares when the inevitable correction occurs. When that event will happen is anyone’s guess, but happen it will, and many will be caught unawares and will be in great pain financially.

Whats the point of buying back share? How can it come back and bite you?

pasito1983

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
Aramco is shady to say the least. They within OPEC are cutting oil production and pumping the price of USOIL as much as possible to increase their share price. By trying to force OPEC to cut production increases demand and therefore there share price.

It’s open market manipulation. The evaluations of Aramco was so out of wack ranging from 1.1 to 2 trillion depending which bank you asked. The original offering was meant to be 2% but they scaled it back due to the evaluation being low for the crown prince.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
There are far more uses for oil than just automobiles. And the percentage of electric vehicles to internal combustion is miniscule. Oil isn't going anywhere in our lifetime.
You think oil is only used to produce fuel for vehicles??
Given that 70% of U.S. oil is used in transportation and there’s a growing worldwide movement to ban fossil fuel vehicles by 2040 (I am not young and that is within my lifetime) making long term investments in oil seems problematic at best. It took me less than 1 minute to find this information so there really isn’t any excuse for ignorance on the subject. Don’t get me wrong, my provincial government seems oblivious to this reality as they introduce a populist agenda dredged up from 20 years in the past killing the diversification of our economy and doubling down on an industry that simply is not coming back like it was.

It’s MR so someone is going to argue there are only 20 countries in on the ban so far so let me save others some reading by stating that China, India, Japan, and South Korea are on the list and if you know anything about where cars are manufactured...

Back on topic, Apple’s current valuation and recent rise remains a bit of a mystery to me but I am not too worried because I got in some time ago. I am happily bullish on Apple stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.