Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmunz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
I ordered an Apple Watch SE for my wife yesterday to take advantage of the gift card deal. I used my AppleCard with the extended payments. They give the daily cash up front which showed up as the watch $299-$50.00 (special offer) and a gift card purchase for $50. So two lines of cash back with both purchases financed over time.

I think it all works out the same but it looks odd. They gave the $50 off the price of the watch but made me buy a gift card for $50.

Can anyone think of why they would do it this way? There must be some advantage to Apple/Goldman Sachs.

TIA
DLM

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I ordered an Apple Watch SE for my wife yesterday to take advantage of the gift card deal. I used my AppleCard with the extended payments. They give the daily cash up front which showed up as the watch $299-$50.00 (special offer) and a gift card purchase for $50. So two lines of cash back with both purchases financed over time.

I think it all works out the same but it looks odd. They gave the $50 off the price of the watch but made me buy a gift card for $50.

Can anyone think of why they would do it this way? There must be some advantage to Apple/Goldman Sachs.

TIA
DLM
To keep you from returning the watch and keeping the gift card. They've done it this way from the start... if you return the watch, you get to finish paying for the gift card that you kept.

Reactions: xodh and DaveyVigs

dmunz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
To keep you from returning the watch and keeping the gift card. They've done it this way from the start... if you return the watch, you get to finish paying for the gift card that you kept.
Thanks, that actually makes sense. I do wonder why they don't just give the $50 off? Maybe they want to say "we don't discount..."

DLM

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Thanks, that actually makes sense. I do wonder why they don't just give the $50 off? Maybe they want to say "we don't discount..."

DLM
Obviously, I cannot speak for Timmy and his marketing monkeys... but it's how they've always done, as far as I know. Of course, it does guarantee that Apple eventually sees the full price of the item - where else are you going to use an Apple gift card, except at Apple? Giving you $50 off gives you $50 to spend somewhere (maybe Apple, but probably somewhere else)... a $50 gift card to Apple guarantees that you will use it at Apple for another product or service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.