Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2022
I love the Pencil 2 and it’s great with the mini. But what I don’t like is having to remove it each time I use the mini in portrait and thumb type. It’s just not comfy with the Pencil mounted because it gets in the way. Apple made a mistake and should have the magnet on the top of the mini and come out with a shorter Pencil that fits within the width of the mini. Same Pencil just an inch shorter. This would also allow the mini to be slid into a sleeve much easier without the Pencil needing to be removed.

Then move the Touch ID and volume keys to the bottom of the iPad. I’m left handed so I use my iPad in portrait mode upside in order to have the pen on the left side. So this has my volume keys and Touch ID to the bottom, and it’s actually much more convenient to have these keys on the bottom because you don’t have to reach all the way to the top of the device. Much shorter distance for your fingers to travel when they’re on the bottom. Plus I really prefer to have my charging port and cord coming out of the top and not the bottom especially if you’re sitting at a desk, it won’t get in the desk if you write on the iPad.

The mini 6 is a near perfect device for form factor but I feel Apple would make it even better by making these improvements.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Ok, so Apple produces a shorter/smaller Apple Pencil 2 specifically for iPad mini 6 (and beyond). Idk how many iPad mini 6 Apple can sell at any given period, but it is going to be a portion of total iPad sale. Besides, the way Apple Pencil works is that you have an easier time putting it on or taking it down without much effort.

On the other hand, case manufactures could build new cases to adapt Apple Pencil 2 if they want to.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.