Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
This feels to me like a dirty workaround at best. I think Apple should stop this. What do you think?

Nekomichi

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Entering your Apple ID credentials into a third party app that signs into your account on a Mac Mini in a remote server farm and relays your iMessages through said server farm? What could possibly go wrong?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What I don't get is that you can do this right now. I was using iMessage on my Google Pixel 3a XL from May 2020 to February 2021 when I went back to iPhone.

And the 'remote server' was my OWN Mac Mini.

I would suspect that Nothing is trying to do the same, only they control the Mac Minis.

Just do it yourself, use your own 'server' under your control. You don't need the Nothing phone and you can use it on any Android that can run the AirMessage app.

Reactions: Nekomichi and Eugr

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I don't think they will, even if they dislike it. iMessage is legitimately running on Mac machines, they just happen to be on a server farm. I think it's a security issue, but otherwise I don't care. How does it affect you that you think it should be stopped?

You can do this yourself already with a Mac at home.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.