Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
There all,

Although I use Mac for a long time, my audiophile gear ran until now exclusively from my pc desktop.
Last week I tried to connect my Oppo HA-1 DAC to a M1 Mac Mini.
It worked somewhat in a sense that I could play my Apple Music playlist but, although lossless was selected, the bitrate was fixed at 48khz/16bit, which is clearly wrong.
I have no experience related to DAC on Mac setup and any advice on troubleshooting is most welcome.

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
It is a usb connection.
I use a good usb cable starting from the mini's usb a port to oppo's usb b port.
I do not use any adapter.

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
If I remember correctly, yes that is what is says.
The setup is at my office so I'll go tomorrow to double check it and I'll write back.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't think it could be the cable…probably the same one you've always used?

This issue is probably a question for Oppo. My Presonus USB device is working as expected with my M1 Mac Studio.

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
Thanks for the response. TBH I don't know if its the original usb cable, i have more than one for audio so I'll try others cables also.
Sadly the audio subsidiary of Oppo went out of business a few years ago so I am on my own.
I'll report back after trying out multiple cables.

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
Hello, I changed some cables and right now the highest sample rate is 384/32.
If I set that, the dac shows everything as 384/32 even if it is a standard RedBook.
Is there anyway to set it up to choose the actual sampling rate of the source material?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
So it was a cable thing…I guess.

There isn't a way via macOS to switch the sample rate of the audio device based on the source material in Apple Music.

There is an app at GitHub (LosslessSwitcher) that does this. I gave it a shot myself and it works…but the developer says this:

Do also note that:
  • There may be short interuptions to your audio playback, during the time where the app attempts to switch the sample rates.
  • Prolonged use on MacBooks may accelerate battery usages, due to the frequent querying of the latest sample rate.
That first one ruins it for me. How much of a stutter may depend on the audio device you're using or maybe even what sample rate switching is occurring between songs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.