Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
How CPU heavy is this game?
Not an issue on any reasonably modern CPU. Might be a struggle on a dual core. Not sure to be honest as my Windows machine has a 4Ghz Hex core.

Anomaly is designed with lower powered systems in mind so should be ok. Give it a go and see. You'll find that you can tune this game to your system far beyond what any commercial release offers :)

Made by gamers for gamers not money...

Q-6

JouniS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2020
Imho the real innovation is in indie titles. The AAA stuff gets worse with every passing year and people still buy it and it drives me up the wall.
People have been saying this since the 90s, at the very least, but they have always been wrong.

I bought Red Dead Redemption 2 a few weeks ago, and it's about as AAA as games get. People had been saying it's a great game, but I didn't believe them. I only knew Rockstar by reputation (from the GTA series), and I always thought they were one of the least interesting developers. The Wild West setting was similarly one of the least interesting ones I could imagine. Yet when I actually tried the game, it turned out my prejudices were wrong. I've never seen as immersive and atmospheric open world game before. I often spend hours just wandering around and interacting with the world without advancing the game.

Firaxis is probably my favorite studio. They can reliably take one of their classic games, reinvent it a bit, and release a new version that will be one of the best games of the year. Then they keep supporting the game and releasing content DLCs for a few years, until it's time restart the cycle with a new version.

I'm not interested in most AAA games, just like I'm not interested in most mainstream books / movies / TV series. That's more about my taste in entertainment than the quality of it. It's not reasonable to expect that I would like something just because it's a game and I like to play games.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
People have been saying this since the 90s, at the very least, but they have always been wrong.

I bought Red Dead Redemption 2 a few weeks ago, and it's about as AAA as games get. People had been saying it's a great game, but I didn't believe them. I only knew Rockstar by reputation (from the GTA series), and I always thought they were one of the least interesting developers. The Wild West setting was similarly one of the least interesting ones I could imagine. Yet when I actually tried the game, it turned out my prejudices were wrong. I've never seen as immersive and atmospheric open world game before. I often spend hours just wandering around and interacting with the world without advancing the game.

You know what they say about exceptions reinforcing the rule ;) But really, Rockstar is known for reliably delivering some of the most immersive games in the history. It’s hard to beat GTA series on open world atmosphere, popular titles such as Skyrim appear lifeless and me in compariso.

Firaxis is probably my favorite studio. They can reliably take one of their classic games, reinvent it a bit, and release a new version that will be one of the best games of the year. Then they keep supporting the game and releasing content DLCs for a few years, until it's time restart the cycle with a new version.

I’ve been a long time fan of Civilisation, but recent stuff Firaxis did is just… lazy. Poor programming, poor game design, non-existing customer support… the primary redeeming quality of Civ 6 are the visuals - the graphics programmers and artists did a superb job here. The rest though? Plain mediocre. I’ve been hoping that Humankind can take the torch but unfortunately Amplitude bit off more than they could chew.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
The lack of official support for some iOS games on macOS is also confusing (looking at you Genshin Impact/CoD:Mobile). I really wonder how much extra it would cost to flip the switch to allow the game to run on macOS.

You would also have the issue of teaching your 100-plus (or 1000-plus) team to write good code for MacOS when they’ve never written a line of it in their careers.

To borrow a phrase from Rene Ritchie, “that is non-trivial”.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
IIRC Doom 2016 was always a Vulkan title. id Software always uses "open sourced" API's for their engines (at least for the PC version).

And some developers (say 343 Industries) have no real reason to make their game engines support portability (assuming you mean can run on things not x86).
Ever since GLQuake 1, in fact .

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Given how unpopular Macs are for any sort of gaming then it is realistic to seeing any sort of triple A titles by 2023-2025.

My point of view is grounded in the global reality and not the limitation of my mother's basement or my friends' father's attic.

Boomer!

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Today they're giving away the Tomb Raider Trilogy. All of the games are ported to Mac by Feral on Steam but Epic has only Windows ports. That's the publisher's decision I think so we should blame Square Enix or Feral. The site is a mess though right now because of the high demand. You can't log in, load pages, add games or download.

Maybe you just misspoke, because EGS has the only way to get the MacOS version of Borderlands 3. You literally can’t get it on Steam.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Sigh... this is not the first thread in this place talking about this:

Let's just say... at least interest has dropped for Activision-Blizzard. No Diablo 2 Resurrected and Diablo 4 for Mac.

Intel Mac enjoyed increased gaming interest due to ease of porting already existing x86 code over. Not anymore. M1 native apps are not that easy to port.

You're just reacting with empty rhetorics now. It's meaningless to ask me those questions, right?

The only question you should be asking is: when will we see any new game coming that's M1 native and can fully take advantage of M1 processors? I don't think any time soon. No developer/studio has announced anything as such yet. Over a year later.

How long should it have taken?

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Maybe you just misspoke, because EGS has the only way to get the MacOS version of Borderlands 3. You literally can’t get it on Steam.
BL3? I think you misunderstood. I was talking about Tomb Raider Trilogy. All the games in that Trilogy are on Steam but not on Epic.

Reactions: Irishman

Corvus_the_Doctor

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
Happy New Year, welcome to 2022 :)

For those thinking of getting into S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Anomaly.
Long, however invaluable to those new to the game. Will really help to get past the games steep learning curve and get you into the action :)

Q-6
Old thread, I know. I don’t mean to necropost but I was just very curious since you seem to be an informed party: Is it possible to play Anomaly on the M1 Mac? Through wine or anything like that. From a hardware perspective it should work but from an OS perspective I’m lost. I know using boot camp or parallels is an option but I’d prefer to see if I can get a wine fork for it first. I’ve loved stalker for years and anomaly has been a godsend.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Old thread, I know. I don’t mean to necropost but I was just very curious since you seem to be an informed party: Is it possible to play Anomaly on the M1 Mac? Through wine or anything like that. From a hardware perspective it should work but from an OS perspective I’m lost. I know using boot camp or parallels is an option but I’d prefer to see if I can get a wine fork for it first. I’ve loved stalker for years and anomaly has been a godsend.
TBH I've never tried, but I seriously doubt it's possible unless someone creates a sourceport of the game. BootCamp won't work as isn't surpported on M1, nor Wine far as I know.

Only thing I can think of is Crossover even then. I play a lot of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so am also looking for a native Apple Silicon version of the game and the standalone mod releases.

Q-6

Corvus_the_Doctor

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
TBH I've never tried, but I seriously doubt it's possible unless someone creates a sourceport of the game. BootCamp won't work as isn't surpported on M1, nor Wine far as I know.

Only thing I can think of is Crossover even then. I play a lot of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so am also looking for a native Apple Silicon version of the game and the standalone mod releases.

Q-6
In my research and testing since I posed this to you, I have found a way which makes Anomaly work. It can even load with DirectX11, even though the frame rate is abysmal. Direct9X is how I used to play though, so I could just roll it back to that easy. What you want to do is look into the Porting Kit fork of wineskin and look on the forums for the .wsi3 file made by jodokast98 to load the wrapper. You want to use the launcher .exe for the main .exe

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
In my research and testing since I posed this to you, I have found a way which makes Anomaly work. It can even load with DirectX11, even though the frame rate is abysmal. Direct9X is how I used to play though, so I could just roll it back to that easy. What you want to do is look into the Porting Kit fork of wineskin and look on the forums for the .wsi3 file made by jodokast98 to load the wrapper. You want to use the launcher .exe for the main .exe
Thx for the info ? On the off chance you play other older games on the M1 try https://macsourceports.com/ I have Doom 3 BFG on my M1 MBP and I think it's one of the best versions of the game ?

Q-6

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
First page on there I see Daikatana, arr we that desperate for games that we’ll play Daikatana?
Some of us have been playing the likes of Doom & Quake since release. TBH any forward momentum on the Mac gaming front is a positive as it's hardly booming...

No doubt Daikatana has it's fans as do other games on the site. Thankfully now native to Apple Silicon ?

Q-6

ahurst

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2021
First page on there I see Daikatana, arr we that desperate for games that we’ll play Daikatana?
So, fun story: a random enthusiast managed to get the game’s server code up and running on modern hardware, and that apparently impressed Romero enough that he gave the guy the original Daikatana source code to do the same for the game itself. In addition to proper modern cross-platform support, the enthusiast also dove into the source and fixed a lot of the famous bugs that made Daikatana such a mess to play originally, so it should be more fun to play. There was a big ArsTechnica article about it a while back!

EDIT: Nevermind, it was PC Gamer: https://www.pcgamer.com/meet-the-superfans-who-spent-a-decade-bringing-daikatana-back-to-life/

FrostLK8

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2019
The lack of official support for some iOS games on macOS is also confusing (looking at you Genshin Impact/CoD:Mobile). I really wonder how much extra it would cost to flip the switch to allow the game to run on macOS.

Not to necro the thread, but if how horribly Genshin runs on M1 iPads is any indication, porting it over to the MacOS would really be a moot point. It's blurry, pixelated mess on the 2021 iPad Pros with unplayable lag if you even touch any resolution other than Low, so a Mac port probably wouldn't be worth playing either.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Not to necro the thread, but if how horribly Genshin runs on M1 iPads is any indication, porting it over to the MacOS would really be a moot point. It's blurry, pixelated mess on the 2021 iPad Pros with unplayable lag if you even touch any resolution other than Low, so a Mac port probably wouldn't be worth playing either.
For the level of visuals I have no idea why Genshin runs so poorly (everywhere). CoD Mobile also has meh performance for the level of visuals. (I blame Unity, but I am sure that isn't the reason, lol)

FrostLK8

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2019
For the level of visuals I have no idea why Genshin runs so poorly (everywhere). CoD Mobile also has meh performance for the level of visuals. (I blame Unity, but I am sure that isn't the reason, lol)
I’m honestly not sure.

I’ve tracked Mihoyo’s tweaks between 2.0 - 2.5 from an end-user perspective, and they obviously tried at least somewhat but I’m not sure if they actually took a look at specifically M1 devices.

Because whichever way you look at it, the game runs badly in extended gaming sessions.

I’m not sure if it’s the heat factor of the M1 being shoved into a thin metal slate (from what I’ve seen, M1 Airs suffer from similar problems too so that may be an unsolvable issue) or if it’s Unity’s propensity to overheat devices, or if Mihoyo just can’t be bothered to optimize it further… difficult to say.

But I’m pretty sure that there will be a limit to what can reasonably be done with that chip due to how much it heats up, and it probably won’t be anywhere close to the highest settings they offer in the game. I hope that I’m proved wrong though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.