Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
Most people are not really at risk from "agencies around the world". Criminals in their own town present a much greater risk and Apple's biggest security flaw is allowing an iOS device logged in to iCloud to change the iCloud account password without additional authentication even if the device is secured by a PIN.
Sure. The agencies want you to believe that. You think “your” emails have never been scanned through NSA’s prism filters?

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
People are getting so upset here you’d think they have been already hacked.

How often do you use private key encryption on a day-to-day basis? The research paper mentions OpenSSH, is that used much outside the professional world? Maybe if you connect to a SFTP server regularly.

The M3 does have a solution, you would have to update your OpenSSH to a version that disables DMP in hardware. Which will impact OpenSSH performance but nothing else.

I wish I had a M3 instead of a M1, because that’s more secure, but honestly it doesn’t seem that big of a deal.

Johnny Jackhammer

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
Not sure if trolling but you have nothing to worry about.

If you spend your life worrying about every edge case where something could go wrong, you’d never leave your home.
Worrying is what people do when they are helpless.

It’s not “worrying” when you educate yourself, take precautions and prepare for the worst. My kids’ piano tutor of 6 years came to her last piano lesson with us in early 2020 after she said COVID was “nothing to worry about” and giggled about people’s concerns. You would think a global pandemic would alter people in some way for the better but it doesn’t. Things just don’t penetrate some people’s skulls.

• Disagree
Reactions: Razorpit

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
Emails are completely insecure. Everyone's emails have probably been scanned by multiple foreign agencies, Google and maybe Facebook.
yes, but people don't know that. They still think you need a written warrant with a person who manually scans every word in your email, just once for that warrant.

nevertheless, email *can* be secure. What you put in the envelope can be encrypted, coded as per your wishes. People may open and read the envelope but it'll be gibberish to them as long as they cannot decrypt it.

carlskater

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2024
yes, but people don't know that. They still think you need a written warrant with a person who manually scans every word in your email, just once for that warrant.

nevertheless, email *can* be secure. What you put in the envelope can be encrypted, coded as per your wishes. People may open and read the envelope but it'll be gibberish to them as long as they cannot decrypt it.

Yes, for example Proton Mail is actual genuine secure end-to-end encrypted e-mail.
Unlike Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc. they don't sell people's personal data.

Reactions: Miat

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Worrying is what people do when they are helpless.

It’s not “worrying” when you educate yourself, take precautions and prepare for the worst. My kids’ piano tutor of 6 years came to her last piano lesson with us in early 2020 after she said COVID was “nothing to worry about” and giggled about people’s concerns. You would think a global pandemic would alter people in some way for the better but it doesn’t. Things just don’t penetrate some people’s skulls.

I wouldn’t call a global pandemic an edge case. Do you really feel helpless in regards to this exploit?

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
Yes, for example Proton Mail is actual genuine secure end-to-end encrypted e-mail.
Unlike Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc. they don't sell people's personal data.
Encrypted email is dead. E2E encryption may be there. However, an attacker can simply compromise the endpoint. At some point you have to decrypt the message at the endpoint or else the service itself is useless. Once it’s decrypted there, a rogue endpoint app/
OS malware can leak the contents.

Andrey84

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Greater London, United Kingdom
Hello,
I've spent a lot of time trying to understand this exploit, but still I don't have positive answers to these fundamental questions.
Can people with the knowledge of the matter please advise:

1. To enable this exploit, does someone need to have physical access to my computer, or me installing a malicious program as an Admin will be enough?
2. What is the actual real-world impact a malicious attacker having access to my encryption keys, in Layman's terms?

Last edited:

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
Hello,
I've spent a lot of time trying to understand this exploit, but still I don't have positive answers to these fundamental questions.
Can people with the knowledge of the matter please advise:

1. To enable this exploit, does someone need to have physical access to my computer, or me installing a malicious program as an Admin will be enough?
2. What is the actual real-world impact a malicious attacker having access to my encryption keys, in Layman's terms?
1. Installing a malicious program is enough. You may need to install Asahi Linux and boot from it though, as discussed in this thread.
2. I cannot tell if you actually have encryption keys or not. If you do, an application that uses them can be leveraged by the attacker to repeatedly use the encryption key until the malicious app has enough information to tell what is the encryption key value. An example of application using an encryption key is "ssh" or "sftp".

Reactions: jdb8167 and Miat

Andrey84

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Greater London, United Kingdom
1. Installing a malicious program is enough. You may need to install Asahi Linux and boot from it though, as discussed in this thread.
2. I cannot tell if you actually have encryption keys or not. If you do, an application that uses them can be leveraged by the attacker to repeatedly use the encryption key until the malicious app has enough information to tell what is the encryption key value. An example of application using an encryption key is "ssh" or "sftp".
Thank you. So no impact to a casual user or a design professional? Neither me nor my wife use ssh or sftp.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
You ever try to prove something did NOT happen.

My dog did NOT die yesterday. I can prove it by playing fetch today.

Proving things didn't happen isn't really any harder than proving they did. There's this false idea out there that you can't prove a negative, which is absurd.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
It seems to me that the issue would fixable by introducing a new API, let’s call it with_secure_context() that would receive a function and execute it in timing-insensitive mode. Apple Silicon already supports ARM data independent timing feature which does this, the issue with gofetch seems to be that baling this mode does not correctly disable the prefetched. However, the prefetched can be disabled on M1/M2 by manipulating CPU control registers. This is why an API is required - the OS will ensure that all security features are correctly turned on.

As a final note, secure computing is hard. It is not realistic to expect that all code you run is completely secure and free from observable effects, and we shouldn’t try to build processors with such properties. It is however important that processors have a lower-performance secure mode to support these kind of operations. This is what newer ARM and Intel processors support, and it’s IMO the correct path forward.

spritle

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2019
My dog did NOT die yesterday. I can prove it by playing fetch today.

Proving things didn't happen isn't really any harder than proving they did. There's this false idea out there that you can't prove a negative, which is absurd.
How do you know your dog didn't die yesterday but then came back to life? 🤔

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Razorpit and jido

spritle

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2019
ed782f46-b9ed-4362-8098-a5ffcdb0171c_text.gif

Reactions: Analog Kid
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.