Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scubamom

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
Indiana
My husband wants a link band for his new SS watch so I’m researching for him. He wants a brushed finish and I don’t think he would like a shiny finish. It appears that the Apple silver link is a brushed finish, but I can’t really tell if the Nomad silver steel band is brushed or shiny. When I read the description it sounds as though the Nomad is brushed, but in the reviews I see people mentioning that ”it’s so shiny!” Does anyone have a picture of both side by side or can you tell me if the Nomad is shiny or brushed finish. I thought it was possible that it used to be shiny and is now brushed, or the opposite (shiny now brushed before).

Thanks

Dguitarnut

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
St Petersburg Fl.
I have both the Nomad SS and the Apple SS link bands. The Nomad is more comfortable but it’s noticeably heavier than the Apple SS link bracelet. That being said I wear the Nomad much more often as I like it’s looks better and doesn’t have the sharp edges the Apple Link bracelet has. Polishing either to a shiny look isn’t a problem as well as restoring it to a brushed finish using jewelers cloth or Cape Cod polishing rags.
I had an AW SS S6 and they matched up equally as well

RealPhone

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2012
The Nomad SS has not brushed finish. It's shiny and beautiful.

Attachments

• A1A97C5F-C48E-4900-BB41-B1C0D6AE9499.jpeg
    A1A97C5F-C48E-4900-BB41-B1C0D6AE9499.jpeg
    472.7 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: Brooke795

Dguitarnut

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
St Petersburg Fl.
Easy to get a brushed finish though………….done it many times. Many Utube videos detailing the procedure
I have gone back from brushed to shiny and vice versa on many of my stainless steel watches……
USE SYNTHETIC STEEL WOOL BY SCOTCH 3M .
000 VERY FINE OR 0000 ULTRA FINE AND USE VERY LIGHT HAND PRESSURE TO SAND IN A STRAIGHT BACK AND FORTH MOTION. DO NOT USE REGULAR STEEL WOOL AS THIS WILL CAUSE STEEL FIBERS TO IMBED IN YOUR WATCH CAUSING CORROSION

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.