Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I am trying to change my data plan from t-mobile to AT&T with my iPad air 2 but I have not been able to get AT&T to show up. Only Speint and T-Mobile show up now. Any ideas? I thought only AT&T locked the SIM, not T-Mo.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
its sad you want to leave t-moble. they offer music freedom on 1 gb plans and will also offer roll over data in 4 days as well, and t-mobile is even saying we are getting 10 gigs of free roll over data in 4 days as well.

their website clearly says that 1 gb plans will get data stash. but i don't know if i am actually getting the free 10 gig data until new years day or the billing cycle after new years.

would you be interested in giving them one more month like feb 2015 just to see if you get 10 gigs of ffee data?

i don't work for t-mobile. heh

t-mobile will give you tethering where as AT&T won't. unless you subscribe to their share plan with an iPad and phone

if you agree to register the iPad in the AT&T store they will give you a free sim card. if you go to the AT&T store and ask for a sim, without an iPad they will turn you down.

do not buy an AT&T go phone sim. they sell for around $9 to $15 and they won't work. they require DDA to activate / talk to the towers. AT&T go phone sims only work on the iPad 3.

DDA means that the sim will not connect to the towers, your device is dead to the world, it will show 0 bars and it will not activate unless you put it in a phone and dial codes like *#9501311-1231321313# to pick a plan and to submit refill cards

you can also go to AT&Ts website and order a sim for bring your own device. but i tested that website and i have about 3 imei numbers on 3 different phones and AT&T says their is a problem with the imei and they are not eligible to be used on the network. go figure.

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I thought the whole point of the "Apple SIM" was being able to switch carriers any time you want?

If that doesn't work, then why did they even bother? Might as well just use official carrier SIMs.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
I thought the whole point of the "Apple SIM" was being able to switch carriers any time you want?

If that doesn't work, then why did they even bother? Might as well just use official carrier SIMs.

the cell phone companies like AT&T and verizon are jerks thats why

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

If that doesn't work, then why did they even bother? Might as well just use official carrier SIMs.[/QUOTE]

While it would've been nice for the carriers to play ball a bit better, the fact remains that they still want control over how devices get activated on their network. AT&T does this by putting silly restrictions on how SIMs get used. Verizon does it by refusing to use anything but their own SIMs. Sprint does it by locking down their network and only allowing whitelisted devices.

Ultimately though, the true reason for the Apple SIM is fewer inventory headaches for Apple. They don't have to have to have multiple SKUs and stock multiple, carrier-specific iPads which have a special branded SIM for each carriers pre-installed, when they have a single SIM that works on most of the US carriers. So you no longer have a situation where an Apple store is "out of" AT&T iPads but has a bunch of, say, Sprint iPads. Now it doesn't matter, they hand you whatever iPad off the shelf and what happens after you do your first activation isn't Apple's problem anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.