Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zastin17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2017
So I figured out something non obvious, but very important about Sony Apple 400K floppy drives.

So I had 2x drives with the same issues. Neither could format a disk. "Fail to initiatize" It turns out, the root of all of my issues was I was when I serviced the drives without the Aluminum sheild. The floppy cable is short so forces you to be near the power supply.

Something to do with the Macintosh Flyback or CRT causes formatting to fail every single time. The very second I install the Aluminum Housing, formatting was 100% successfully on both of my 400K drives.

I couldn't believe it!! I repeated this, removed the sheild. All disks fail to format once again on both drives "put the Sheild back on" and 100% sucess rate immediately!!

I am amazed!! And I know their are many other out their with the same issue. I've read people with very confusing times and experiences with these 400K drives many drices with same symptoms. And this would explain it!!

Nothing like this seems to be archived anywhere. So I'm making this post.

Spread the word! Lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.