Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I'll agree with you on the calculator, but I thought the other widgets looked pretty good. I am not crazy about the color scheme for the date book, but it doesn't actually annoy me like the calculator does.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I always thought that they were customizable... or you could use different sets of widgets. I thought the calculator was fine, but if you dont want to use an operating system because of a calculator... that is rediculous. The Windows XP calculator is the ugliest POS I have ever seen.

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
From what I've read the widgets are based on html/css/js and utilize all your existing apps via applescript, you should be able to set up them up to do anything that you can make a web page do. I'm actually pretty excited about this, from an ecommerce perspective you could set up some pretty cool backend stuff for web sites. Imagine a widget that handles adding a new product, you just drag a picture from iPhoto into the widget, add the price and description then hit add then the widget uses iPhoto to adjust the image size, and upload all the info into a mysql database. Conversely you could set it up to do inventory control, site stats, or anything. My mother wants to start an online company, and I'm thinking that this type of application would make it easy enough for her to actually update the site without calling me every five minutes. There are a lot of possibilities..

thePurpleGiant

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2004
All gadgets are very easy to modify, given that most of them are simply html, css, javascript. The gadget bundle can be opened, and individual image files changes, so you will really be able to customise your gadgets. And of course, by the time Tiger is released to the public, there will be hundreds of gadgets available. Already there are a few popping up at http://www.thedashboarder.com - and Tiger has only been around a week!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.