Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you believe Apple steal's trade secrets from those who cannot afford a formidable defense?

• Total voters

MacProFCP

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
There have been numerous whispers about Apple practicing patent theft and using its largesse to ward off smaller adversaries. This is the first time I've seen the WSJ bring this issue to light.

I am not presumptuous enough to have an opinion either way, but if this is true, it is really unethical, and unacceptable behavior. I would expect this from Samsung, but hold Apple to a higher standard.

Last edited:

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Unfortunately, this happens in the tech industry. Unless there's a patent, you don't own it. Apple employees get poached by other companies all the time for what they know about Apple products.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
My brother told me that this was the Microsoft playbook back in the 1980s. He wrote a program that was unique, so Microsoft invited him in implying that they were interested in buying the company out. And, of course, they took his product and writing their own product that did the same thing.

Big companies can copy your program, buy you out, hire employees from you and small companies can't do much about it except to innovate relentlessly. Could Apple be doing this? Sure. I worked at a big tech company and, if there was a competitor with a serious threat, we added a similar feature and promised customers that we'd have the same thing in one, two, three years.

Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.