Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natedanp

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2015
Hey, recently I've been thinking about upgrading from Jailbroken iOS 7 to iOS 8 and jailbreaking it but I've been hearing something about it not being signed, what does that mean? Sorry for being a noob lol, am I not able to do that though?

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Hey, recently I've been thinking about upgrading from Jailbroken iOS 7 to iOS 8 and jailbreaking it but I've been hearing something about it not being signed, what does that mean? Sorry for being a noob lol, am I not able to do that though?
it means if you update, you will go straight to 8.4.1 which can't be jb yet.

Natedanp

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2015
it means if you update, you will go straight to 8.4.1 which can't be jb yet.
One more thing. I found this

Download the 8.4 firmware from https://ipsw.me to your PC. In iTunes hold shift and update (or hold shift and restore if you're already jailbroken). Then manually select the downloaded 8.4 firmware.

Would this work?

Also, can you explain what GSM and Global means? Is GSM basically locked to one carrier?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
One more thing. I found this

Would this work?

Also, can you explain what GSM and Global means? Is GSM basically locked to one carrier?
No, that will not work. iOS has to be verified (signed) by Apple to install, and 8.4 is no longer signed so it cannot be installed.

Pnx6969

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2015
sorry guys pretty new to jailbreaking etc.

I understand that the iOS 8.4 has stopped being signed, but i my phone has developed a fault and apple say send in for repair under warranty, but they say they will repair the phone after assessing there no physical damage, and upgrade to latest iOS which I say I dont want.

The question is, is there anything i can do now before i send it back to them so i can restore my 8.4 ios with working TaigG jailbreak when i get it back?

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
sorry guys pretty new to jailbreaking etc.

I understand that the iOS 8.4 has stopped being signed, but i my phone has developed a fault and apple say send in for repair under warranty, but they say they will repair the phone after assessing there no physical damage, and upgrade to latest iOS which I say I dont want.

The question is, is there anything i can do now before i send it back to them so i can restore my 8.4 ios with working TaigG jailbreak when i get it back?

If you send it in to them with it jailbroken they will void your warranty. The best thing to do it install Cydia Impactor and run it, that will remove everything from your phone so make sure you back up first.

What is wrong with your phone? More often than not they just replace your phone with a refurbished one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.