Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which do you think is better on iPhone 4S: IOS 9 or IOS 6?

• Total voters

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Is this thread still active if so, allow me to say something...

I got my iPhone 4S as a gift for my birthday. When i switched it on, i was devastated and tried to find a solution to downgrade to ios 6.1.3 in hopes of making my sluggish iphone 4s faster. I downloaded an ipsw file and tried to restore it to 6.1. but no avail. I lost all my data and was very dissappointed. I decided not to do it ever and ever again. After a few months, i decided to try again once more as i was more familiar on the procedure to downgrade. But when i checked the ipsw website, i was COMPLETELY shocked. I sent a suggestion to Apple for Apple to start signing 6.1.3 again. I never heard back since.

Is there any other method to downgrade? PLEASE share me ur thoughts and ideas.

Apple usually doesn't sign previous iOS versions. Once they are unsigned, there is no way to restore them to your iOS device using iTunes. 6.1.3 was an exception for the longest time, it was actually signed for years for the 4s and iPad 2, but that's also unsigned now.

However there is a method, but it requires you to jailbreak your device. You can use the CoolBooter tweak to install a second partition (any supported one for your device).

Install 9.3.6 (latest version) on your 4s, if you don't already have it. Then jailbreak your iPhone 4s. Open Cydia, and search for the CoolBooter tweak and install it. After that, open CoolBooter and select your desired firmware (like 6.1.3). Now you can reboot your device with CoolBooter and it will boot into iOS 6.1.3. It's a new partition so there will be no files / music / pictures etc... If you turn it off, it will boot into iOS 9.3.6 again, meaning that you eventually have to jailbreak again first (unless it's an untethered one) so you can open up your CoolBooter tweak again. After that, you can boot into iOS 6 again. So i recommend you to just leave your device powered on (just leave it at the charger when you don't use it) while in iOS 6.

It's quite complicated but it works. See YouTube for tutorials.

See: https://coolbooter.com

TechSteph

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2020
Thanks, i’ll see what i can do.

I have tried many methods but it never worked. Maybe this one might work...
[automerge]1589030172[/automerge]
But i wonder if i can restore unsigned ipsw through and old version of itunes...

Last edited:
Reactions: Elitegate

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Thanks, i’ll see what i can do.

I have tried many methods but it never worked. Maybe this one might work...
[automerge]1589030172[/automerge]
But i wonder if i can restore unsigned ipsw through and old version of itunes...

This method should work.

But no, an unsigned version cannot be restored, unless you have your SHSH blobs saved. That's not even a thing anymore.

TechSteph

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2020
Guys it has been a while since i updated you guys about the iPhone 4s.

Everything was going smoothly until now.

I jailbroke my device(iPhone 4S 9.3.6), installed coolbooter and coolbooter untetherer. Then i decide to OTA downgrade to iOS 8.4.1 (Which included modifying system files and rebooting my phone) to make my iPhone a bit faster. At the time when i started to downgrade, i still had coolbooter untethered. i recall using 20 gigs on one partition which is running iOS 6 and one on iOS 9(the one i jailbroke with.)
After i changed the SystemVersion.plist file, i rebooted my phone while holding down the vol. down button so as not to activate the untetherer. When you edit the system version file, you will get the loading line progress bar for a few secs. I got that and waited for the iPhone to reboot. I waited. And waited. and waited. NOTHING HAPPENED.

I gave up and restored my device to iOS 9.3.6. After i erased and set up my device, it claimed to only have 5.5 gigs of storage capacity. I knew this was not normal because i originally bought the iPhone at 32 gigs. As if the problem wasn't enough, i decided to jailbreak my device to install apps but then after i jailbroke it, i opened cydia and realized there wasn't any packages under the sources tab. I also tried to search an app but nothing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING popped up. i could not find any packages in cydia after adding a source. PLEASE HELP ME!

TechSteph

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2020
Guys it has been a while since i updated you guys about the iPhone 4s.

Everything was going smoothly until now.

I jailbroke my device(iPhone 4S 9.3.6), installed coolbooter and coolbooter untetherer. Then i decide to OTA downgrade to iOS 8.4.1 (Which included modifying system files and rebooting my phone) to make my iPhone a bit faster. At the time when i started to downgrade, i still had coolbooter untethered. i recall using 20 gigs on one partition which is running iOS 6 and one on iOS 9(the one i jailbroke with.)
After i changed the SystemVersion.plist file, i rebooted my phone while holding down the vol. down button so as not to activate the untetherer. After editing the system version file and rebooting my iPhone, you will get the loading line progress bar for a few secs. I got that and waited for the iPhone to reboot. I waited. And waited. and waited. NOTHING HAPPENED.

I gave up and restored my device to iOS 9.3.6. After i erased and set up my device, it claimed to only have 5.5 gigs of storage capacity. I knew this was not normal because i originally bought the iPhone at 32 gigs. As if the problem wasn't enough, i decided to jailbreak my device to install apps but then after i jailbroke it, i opened cydia and realized there wasn't any packages under the sources tab. I also tried to search an app but nothing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING popped up. i could not find any packages in cydia after adding a source. PLEASE HELP ME!

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
How did you restore the device? I'd imagine a complete restore from a computer would wipe out all the partitions, if not there might be some software to do so, but not sure. As it stands right now you most likely can't boot back into the coolbooter partition, even if you reinstall it.

TechSteph

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2020
i fixed it, i just have to re-jailbreak the device after erasing it, and then install coolbooter. after that, click uninstall then it'll uninstall the 2nd partition.

25wood

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2022
I have an Iphone 4s that I have in the car as an emergency backup. Switched it on after many months and message to update it. The phone was working perfectly but I confirmed to update. What a mistake. I presume it was on firmware 6.1.3. and the update was to IOS 9. I now have a screen with itunes logo and the usb monogram (recovery mode).

Plugging the phone into either a 64 bit pc or IMAC desktop both with the latest version of I tunes shows the phone in recovery mode and says it is being restored. The restoration bar on the phone gets three quarters along and a message comes up error 29 which I understand is a battery error if the original battery is not in the phone. I have found an original battery on e bay taken out of a phone and I am waiting for it to arrive to see if it cures the problem

In the mean time I have tried the update on a 32 bit computer running latest I tunes and the error comes up (iphone cannot be updated. 'The disk you are attempting to use is full'). Cannot do anything about this as I cannot get into the phone.

As a newbe I presume the 6.1.3. Firmware is still in the phone so can I jailbreak from the itunes logo screen (recovery mode ) to at least get the phone to operate.
As said in other posts Firmware 6.1.3 is only available in unsigned form so I presume is useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.