Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
is it possible for me to take my 12"pb to the apple store and have them upgrade it from a combo drive to a super drive and a 60gig hd to a 100gig?

if so how much does it cost?

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
Rob587 said:
is it possible for me to take my 12"pb to the apple store and have them upgrade it from a combo drive to a super drive and a 60gig hd to a 100gig?

Yes. :D

A lot! :eek:

You could be better off just purchasing external drives if you're just looking for functionality. However, if you want to have it in your powerbook, this will cost you some serious bucks! :cool:

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
Rob587 said:
how much? and why is it so expensive?

I can't answer that because I'm not the merchant, but anytime you have a service center do the work the prices are high relative to doing it yourself.
:)

You should call them and ask! :eek:

Fender

macrumors regular
May 9, 2004
Toronto, CANADA
You'd be better off buying the Superdrive and HD yourself, and installing it yourself. Neither installation is very complicated.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Rob587 said:

Best to ask. I called the Toronto Apple Store and visited them in person and both times I was given an emphatic NO, they would not perform a hard drive upgrade - I think they might have offered me the option to have it sent to the service center, but at ridiculous cost.

Instead, they pointed me to some local computer shops who I phoned and both shops quoted me $85 (Cdn) in labour to upgrade the hard drive.

Then my friend's dad offered to do it for me for free. I think that's the route I'll take. :)

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
I searched the forums and couldnt really find much, maybee theirs stuff Im not seeing? Is it a complicated procedure? Where could I get directions on how to do it and what brand does apple use for their 100gb hd and their dvd rw/ cd rw for a new 12" pb? thanks

Fender

macrumors regular
May 9, 2004
Toronto, CANADA
Rob587 said:
I searched the forums and couldnt really find much, maybee theirs stuff Im not seeing? Is it a complicated procedure? Where could I get directions on how to do it and what brand does apple use for their 100gb hd and their dvd rw/ cd rw for a new 12" pb? thanks

A friend of mine got his Super Drive from:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optical-drives/superdrives/powerbook/

And as for the hard drive, just about any notebook HD should fit the bill. You'll have to decide whether or not to go with the 5400RPM or 7200RPM (I say the latter if you can afford it).

Here's an example of some HD upgrades:
http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Powerbook-G4-Aluminum-Hard-Drive-Upgrades-p-1-c-389.html
(Don't buy from there though, you can find much cheaper prices)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.