Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terryjohncunnett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2022
Hello all, I am from Hong Kong and I have bought an iphone 13 pro max in Hong Kong which I paid with Apple Pay. In Hong Kong, we have to pay first then wait for the pick-up email so as to get the product in person in the Apple Store. But the name in my Apple Pay contains my English name and my Chinese surname which not matched with my ID card, e.g. my name on my ID card is "chan man ho", but the name in my apple pay is "chan 陳 man ho jackie" then the staff and managers told me that I cannot take my phone. Which is so ridiculous. And I have shown them all my purchasing record, e.g. pick up emails, credit card info, apple pay record. And they still would not let me pick up.

Here comes the most ridiculous part of all. It is fine that they would not let me take the product but they even won't let me cancel the order and charged me 15% of it........it's like charging 200 usd for not filling in your name correctly.......

Apple HK is dead.

terryjohncunnett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2022
Seems like the smart thing would be to discover what it takes to correct the name on your Apple Pay account, so this doesn't happen again
cannot believe someone would stood up for Apple on this, just I added my English nickname which other that that are all the same. Should this costs 15% fee? like 200usd?

terryjohncunnett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2022
Gosh, such a stupid thread.

You should be following Apple's instructions. Whatever name is on your ID should have been given.
putting yourself in my shoes, do you think it is fair that it charges you 200usd for typing you nickname on the apply pay which cannot get the product?

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
putting yourself in my shoes
Might appear unfair at first, but the names and ID have to match at the end of the day. If you can somehow prove all of your names/nicknames to them you might still be able to get it. If you can't, then lesson learned.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Are you kidding me? Just buy a product and I actually pre-paid for it.
If your IDs don't match, then the fault is on your end. Apple very specifically lists the requirements for pick-up. Did you read them? If so, you would have realized there are rules regarding proper ID with matching names on both the ID and the name on the order.

Clearly you didn't do the required reading.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
There should be a happy medium here, as others have suggested, contact Apple support and explain the situation. My guess is that you should be able to come to a mutually beneficial solution.

DD88

Suspended
Jun 6, 2022
If the names dont match up then sadly the issue is with you not making sure your Apple Pay and ID names match which is what’s caused this issue in the first place, however the people at Apple could have been more pleasant about it and tried to come up with a solution for you

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
Well, I have ordered via Apple online for in-store pickup and their policy is explicitly laid out. The name of the pick-up person (be it you or someone else) has to match exactly aside from having the relevant documentation.

Heck, Apple also explicitly tells you what documents are considered valid forms of ID.
Wouldn’t hurt to show at least a base level of empathy. I hope Apple support can help get this changed without making the customer pay $200 for a simple mistake.

Reactions: RokinAmerica

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Wouldn’t hurt to show at least a base level of empathy. I hope Apple support can help get this changed without making the customer pay $200 for a simple mistake.
There are rules in place to prevent unintended delivery of orders. Would you be happy if your order is delivered to the wrong person because of some employee taking flexibility over the policy?

The rules are clearly stated for everyone to follow. All one needs to do is follow said rules. This is not a difficult concept to grasp.

Reactions: kitKAC

RokinAmerica

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2022
OP, escalate your issue with support as others have said. The people you are dealing with are worried about scams and not able to make those level decisions. You need someone with the authority to decide to look at your situation and documents and then you should be able to have a proper resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.