Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ysquare

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I don't know if anyone has experienced this before.

I took an unlocked iPhone 7+ to store for repair due to unresponsive screen. They send the phone in to TX.

10 days later the phone came back, however we couldn't activate the phone with an international SIM anymore. Chatted with a support agent and they said the replacement part is LOCKED.

The original phone was factory unlocked and worked with our international SIM out of the box.

The repair team clearly messed up the replacement parts. They are trying to see if they can unlock the phone in the system.

Has anyone had similar experiences before?

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
In theory, this cannot happen, since the unlocked version should have a different part number.

What store is that? Can’t you take it to an Apple Store proper where they’ll replace it on the spot or escalate it to apple support?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Can't they just replace it with another refurbished iPhone 7 Plus? Those are unlocked.

Apple has every color and storage configuration in stock.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don't know if anyone has experienced this before.

I took an unlocked iPhone 7+ to store for repair due to unresponsive screen. They send the phone in to TX.

10 days later the phone came back, however we couldn't activate the phone with an international SIM anymore. Chatted with a support agent and they said the replacement part is LOCKED.

The original phone was factory unlocked and worked with our international SIM out of the box.

The repair team clearly messed up the replacement parts. They are trying to see if they can unlock the phone in the system.

Has anyone had similar experiences before?

This is kind of confusing. If Apple sent you a phone that does not work, but originally it did, then what’s stopping them from issuing you a replacement phone that would ultimately resolve the issue? Why would it be locked after the Fact? Something is missing here.

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018
Can't they just replace it with another refurbished iPhone 7 Plus? Those are unlocked.

Apple has every color and storage configuration in stock.

The lock/unlock status of your existing iPhone gets transferred to the new iPhone once the replacement process is completed.

Last time I got a replacement the Apple store rep said to wait 10min to power up the replacement iPhone after hitting submit on his iPad to ensure the unlock status gets transferred over correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.