Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
Henri Gaudier said:
Have you seen the price of Macs in France? Quit with the slick stores and give us American prices for ****'s sake. They're made in China for pennies and by the time they reach France they're possibly the dearest Mac prices in the world. Boring news. Boring iPod. Boring Boring. Etc.
I am paying the same prices here in Sweden. In general it is about 30% on top of the US price. All europeans pay the same price.
If you find them so boring why bother hang around here at all???

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Dr.Gargoyle said:
It could be that the reason why customers are located there are just because they have an Apple store. It is not about pleasing, it is about good business sense.
Just imagine if Toyota came up with the "brilliant" idea just to have one dealer in the enitre US.
I do believe that sales in US would be a slightly lower if they did...

now that would only be a true comparison if it was as easy to get a car ordered and delieverd online as it is a mac :rolleyes:

Apple does need to expand, but their approch is very good. they dont want to over-expand or populate. yes they are taking their time, but better that than pouring all their money into retail experiences and having to close them down in a few years. This happens all the time, companies over reach and think they can grow into markets that really are not there, Apple is trying to not fall prey to this and that is very good. Its not like opening stores is easy, there is leasing/buying, then all the costs of remodeling their store (Apple wont work in just any retail space after all) and then there are the costs of marketing the store, finding employees, training, making sure that the product will move, and then there is the cost or keeping the store open, which becomes easier as the store makes money, but what if sales are slow? Apple is trying to open in PRIME retail areas where they will see growth and steady form of profits from their stores, they are taking their time, but there is some reasoning behind it.

that being said, they could easily open a store in France before 2007. i think more and more international stores will start popping up soon

clearconcrete

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2005
Apple is a very smart company, especially when it comes to retail. Compare it to gateway, they had pretty good retail stores but opened them far too quickly and had to start closing them, eventually shuttering every single one! Apple is the FASTEST retailer to ever turn a profit and they've not yet had to close a single store.

Also, keep in mind, apple retail is only a few years old. The first US location openend not even 4 years ago and now people are complaining they haven't moved into Paris fast enough? Developing a retail store of apple's tastes takes time, I'm sure they're moving as quickly as possible!

In my opinion it's better to move a bit slower and not make a single mistake than race into every market possible and end up with sub-standard stores and shuttered stores due to low market response.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
PlaceofDis said:
This happens all the time, companies over reach and think they can grow into markets that really are not there, Apple is trying to not fall prey to this and that is very good.
I would hardly call it over reach with one, one!!!, store in Europe.
It is easy to buy at the online store, but most customers wants to see what they are buying before the actually go about purchasing the thing.
If you then consider that European pay about 30% more for all Apple products than you guys do, you might see why sales are low in Europe.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Dr.Gargoyle said:
I would hardly call it over reach with one, one!!!, store in Europe.
It is easy to buy at the online store, but most customers wants to see what they are buying before the actually go about purchasing the thing.
If you then consider that European pay about 30% more for all Apple products than you guys do, you might see why sales are low in Europe.
Aren't there two stores in Europe?

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Apples are overpriced in general, for a 30% premium for users in Europe seems ridiculous.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
Correction, there are two stores in Europe.
But that doesn't make my point less valid. We are 455 million people in Europe (EU) and we have two (2) stores. US have a population of 290 million and god knows how many stores.
If that makes sense to anyone please respond... :confused:
Furthermore, the lowend 15'' PB is $1999 in US. The exact same computer is 18795 SEK = $2567 in Sweden. That equals to 28.4% more over here.
...and then you wonder why sales are slow in Europe???
No stores, insane prices. Go figure. :rolleyes:

joel7687

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2005
Apple Stores

I hope Apple starts building stores everywhere. I love the one I went to (one hour's drive from my house). Everyone should have the experience of using a Mac. Down with Microsoft!

jubjub

macrumors member
May 11, 2005
Sweden
Dr.Gargoyle said:
Furthermore, the lowend 15'' PB is $1999 in US. The exact same computer is 18795 SEK = $2567 in Sweden. That equals to 28.4% more over here.

It's actually 15.036,00.. if you take away our sweet (sarcasm) 25% sales tax.. which makes it $2054.. give or take.

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
Hej Svenska!

Dr.Gargoyle said:
I am paying the same prices here in Sweden. In general it is about 30% on top of the US price. All europeans pay the same price.
If you find them so boring why bother hang around here at all???

I don't find the things that you can do with them boring tha'ts why! But I do find the whole worhipping a corporation thing boring. They have a slick shop so what. Those bloody ipods, itunes and shop launches I swear are diluting focus on the pro line up. Bring on 3 GHz then 4. Okay? Why question my motives when you're in the same boat? Have a go at Apple for screwing we Scandanavians and Europeans!!

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
jubjub said:
It's actually 15.036,00.. if you take away our sweet (sarcasm) 25% sales tax.. which makes it $2054.. give or take.

:eek: 25% sales tax? How does your tax system work over there? is income tax less?

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Xtremehkr said:
:eek: 25% sales tax? How does your tax system work over there? is income tax less?

Depends, in the UK VAT is 17.4% now it is fully legal and encouraged by the EU for people to buy goods in any EU country, so people in france could hop over to London and buy one no problemo! Apple seems to have a problem with this, especially with the itms which is actually illegal for them to not allow me to buy from the German, French or Pan European stores.

So on the same side, if it is cheaper for a french person to buy a mac in £ they should be able to buy from the UK online store with any European bank account / delivery address.

Edit -- Actually just been looking on the UK, FR & DE stores and they are all about the same price anyway.

HL-Audio

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2004
Land of the fjords
Dr.Gargoyle said:
Correction, there are two stores in Europe.
But that doesn't make my point less valid. We are 455 million people in Europe (EU) and we have two (2) stores. US have a population of 290 million and god knows how many stores.
If that makes sense to anyone please respond... :confused:

Didn't IKEA have several stores in Sweden before expanding to other countries ...? :D At least we do have online Apple Stores and a bunch of apple retailers. The lack of an Apple Store in Norway doesn't cause any availability crisis for me, though it would be cool to have a *real* store near by.

When it comes to the pricing in Europe I totally agree. I'm in the market for a new PM right now, but even though I sorely need the power, paying around 17500 NOK (or $2700) in Norway for a crippled three year old dual 2.0 powermac, doesn't seem too tempting. That's more than 35% on top of the US price. But some of that price difference (5-7%??) maybe due to an strong NOK and cheap USD ...

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
Curiously, how many stores does Japan have? Isn't Apple HUGE over there?

I remember seeing a video of a line-up for the opening of a new apple store ... it went on for BLOCKS ... it took like ten minutes just to get to the back of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.