Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoToNaS

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2016
Went to apple store to pickup iPhone 12 Pro iPhone upgrade program. Store workers was trying to activate sim in new iPhone to finish sale but was getting error message that activation in progress over and over again. Was waiting for an hour in store but still not working. All Tmobile customers at that store have same issue with activating. Apple Store employees told us to come back later today. Looks like issue with Apple or Tmobile servers with iPhone upgrade program.

Apple Support said that: "There is an issue processing in-store pickups that is affecting some orders. It looks like there is still an outage of that system at this time on our status page."

Last edited:

fafafooey

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
I setup a T-Mobile account last Sunday so I wouldn't be stuck messing with things today. Just moving a pixel 3 from vzw prepaid to tmobile post paid almost took an hour at the t-mobile shop!!

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Went to apple store to pickup iPhone 12 Pro iPhone upgrade program. Store workers was trying to activate sim in new iPhone to finish sale but was getting error message that activation in progress over and over again. Was waiting for an hour in store but still not working. All Tmobile customers at that store have same issue with activating. Apple Store employees told us to come back later today. Looks like issue with Apple or Tmobile servers with iPhone upgrade program.

were you coming from a T-Mobile phone or this is your new signup with them?

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
I'm picking up a T-Mo phone this evening from Apple. I'll post if there are still issues.

Jim Rodney

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2020
just called my apple store. issue still not resolved.
Not sure where your Apple Store is located, but I'm in Los Angeles, also on T-Mobile for years, and also did the pickup in store, and they're not only not transferring anything from old to new, they're not even letting you turn it on. We have to do that at home, which is what I'm doing, but it's been hung up on the spinning wheel "It may take a few minutes to activate your iPhone." screen for over a half hour now.

KoToNaS

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2016
Not sure where your Apple Store is located, but I'm in Los Angeles, also on T-Mobile for years, and also did the pickup in store, and they're not only not transferring anything from old to new, they're not even letting you turn it on. We have to do that at home, which is what I'm doing, but it's been hung up on the spinning wheel "It may take a few minutes to activate your iPhone." screen for over a half hour now.
Austin, TX. They didn't let me take iPhone home that I paid for because their system not allowing ti complete pickup without transferring current sim to new sim that already inside of iPhone 12
[automerge]1603481257[/automerge]

KoToNaS

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2016
I went to store at 8 am and was waiting till 9:30 waiting for that activation. Then employees told me that issue across all customers with Tmobile. And told me to come back later today.

Jim Rodney

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2020
Austin, TX. They didn't let me take iPhone home that I paid for because their system not allowing ti complete pickup without transferring current sim to new sim that already inside of iPhone 12
[automerge]1603481257[/automerge]
Yeah, I wonder, since you're two hours ahead, did Apple out here decide to rework things for T-Mobile, since there's an issue with the T-Mobile activation, so that the customer has to activate on their own, at home, because they understandably wanted customers in and out of the store as quickly as possible? Unfortunately, T-Mobile's first year's in-store activations did not go smoothly either. Was hoping they'd iron this out by now?

Jim Rodney

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2020
I went to store at 8 am and was waiting till 9:30 waiting for that activation. Then employees told me that issue across all customers with Tmobile. And told me to come back later today.
Ha, out here, we're completely on our own. We were given a "You're going to activate this at home.", after he scanned all the IMEI stuff, told to turn off "Find My iPhone" and then erase it, left it with them, and off I went. Now without a working phone...

KoToNaS

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2016
Ha, out here, we're completely on our own. We were given a "You're going to activate this at home.", after he scanned all the IMEI stuff, told to turn off "Find My iPhone" and then erase it, left it with them, and off I went. Now without a working phone...
that's crazy :eek:

KoToNaS

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2016
Update. My old iPhone 11 Pro stopped seeing Tmobile network at all. Showing no service and SIM not active. Looks like they messed up my SIM now.

KoToNaS

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2016
Well, on the bright side, I can wait at home for T-Mobile activation that will never come, instead of waiting at an Apple Store, for T-Mobile activation that will never come...
Sitting at home and thinking of going to apple store or not. Don't want to waste time again. I have WiFi only iPhone 11 Pro now... Thanks Apple or T-Mobile

Jim Rodney

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2020
Update. My old iPhone 11 Pro stopped seeing Tmobile network at all. Showing no service and SIM not active. Looks like they messed up my SIM now.
That's not necessarily a bad thing. I remember when I first activated a T-Mobile iPhone, in an Apple Store, the existing SIM card has to be deactivated before the new one can be activated, so there's no crossover confusion. The hope is that the time period between the old turned off and the new one turned on is small...

KoToNaS

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2016
That's not necessarily a bad thing. I remember when I first activated a T-Mobile iPhone, in an Apple Store, the existing SIM card has to be deactivated before the new one can be activated, so there's no crossover confusion. The hope is that the time period between the old turned off and the new one turned on is small...
Actually it went back to normal lol. Tower died ahahahah

Jim Rodney

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2020
Sitting at home and thinking of going to apple store or not. Don't want to waste time again. I have WiFi only iPhone 11 Pro now... Thanks Apple or T-Mobile
Yes, I'll likely never buy one in store again, since when you order it online, and have it shipped, you have both phones to do the date transfer, and everything generally goes smoothly. This time, I do not have the iPhone 11 Pro to source the transfer, so have been using an old iPad Air 2 I still have, as the Quick Start source, but clearly that's not working either. I'm going to take your iPhone 11 SIM being turned off as a good sign, because at least there's movement...
[automerge]1603482406[/automerge]
Actually it went back to normal lol. Tower died ahahahah
Oh, darn. So much for my "It'll all be over soon." theory...

KoToNaS

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2016
never had issues with deliveries. Tried pickup for the first time to get some new experience and took a day off. Looks like I got a pretty good experience lol

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Seems to be all carriers if you look in the forum. If all carriers, must be Apple, no? Not pointing fingers, just wondering where the issue resides to get it fixed (squeaky wheel). Either carriers, Apple or just a large amount of phones trying to activate at once.

Reactions: KoToNaS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.