Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
what would happen if you take a jailbroken iphone to an apple store? would they say anything? like what if you went in for troubleshooting etc with a jailbroken device?

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
what would happen if you take a jailbroken iphone to an apple store? would they say anything? like what if you went in for troubleshooting etc with a jailbroken device?

These days, you better be damn sure you have a receipt for it, otherwise the police might show up at your door...

(Lots of looters and sellers of stolen Apple products are going to find themselves in deep doo doo shortly, so make sure you aren't caught up in that!)

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California

They may or may not refuse to service it, depending on what the issue is. If the jail breaking interferes with their diagnostic software, or is potentially a cause of the symptoms, they will send you away.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

Pretty sure it voids your warranty, so technically I think it would be within their rights to refuse to service it.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
oh nothing is wrong with my phone i was just mainly being curious

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
They may or may not refuse to service it, depending on what the issue is. If the jail breaking interferes with their diagnostic software, or is potentially a cause of the symptoms, they will send you away.
They will ask you to restore your iPhone. That's it.

Policy concerning jailbreaks changed in 2015. They don't like it still but they won't refuse service.

Pretty sure it voids your warranty, so technically I think it would be within their rights to refuse to service it.
Yes, that's what they say. And if they want to be real jerks they can probably push it. OTH, 99% of the genuises working the bar just don't give a ****. They're behind and truly do not care. Plus, the in-store policy is that if a JB is not interfering with the device (and causing the problem it was brought in for) it doesn't matter.

You will be asked to restore your device, which removes the jailbreak and their problem.

Why not just remove the JB before you go in?
Exactly. Like a lot of seasoned jailbreakers have done for years now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.