Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
So I’m in between Apple Store visits. A year ago my best friend gave me his old XS Max 256 GB for watching his dogs for a week. Problem was, it had a broken screen. Everything still worked, just the glass was cracked.

I finally land a good paying job and as a treat for myself (to save myself frustration with my 7 and save money on a new phone), I decide to get an appointment and take the XS Max to the Apple Store in Estero, FL last Friday.

The phone passed all diagnostics including Face ID, and they replaced the screen without issue. Phone looks BEAUTIFUL. I picked it up Saturday and paid a cool $350 for it. Anyway, I take it home and set it aside to start moving data over from my 7 for Sunday. On Sunday morning, a family member calls and I answer it on my XS Max. Big problem, I can’t hear her. No sound coming out of the ear speaker. She calls back, same issue. I restart the phone, same issue. I go into Settings then Sounds, and I discovered no sound at all is coming out of that speaker. The other speaker works fine, as does the front camera and Face ID. I was perplexed, so I set up another appointment with Apple for today at 6 PM.

Surely Apple could fix this, right? Or am I going to have to pay for this repair? Seriously, the phone sat on my desk for less than 12 hours after picking it up from Apple before I tried to answer the phone call.

Can anyone offer insight? Am I going to have to pull a “Karen”?

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
Since you got the screen replaced by apple and they botched it, they will make it right and no they should not charge you for it
That’s what I figured, but my fear was that because I walked out of the store, they might say it was on me. Frankly, I didn’t even think of testing the speaker since the issue was the screen.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
That’s what I figured, but my fear was that because I walked out of the store, they might say it was on me. Frankly, I didn’t even think of testing the speaker since the issue was the screen.
As long as you are polite and explained what happened they will make it right. They do document.

When apple replaced battery on my wife’s iphone 7 plus, after repair we noticed that the screen had a dead pixel or some sort of foreign object which was not there before replacement. We took it back and told them the issue and they rectified it by replacing the screen at no cost.

Sydnxt

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2021
When they did the battery replacement on my old iPhone XS they replaced the speaker for free. It is noted on my receipt.
That's because the bottom-speaker has to be removed to replace the battery, which damages the water-resistant seal. So they have to replace the speaker. Source: Work there.

Reactions: TigerNike23

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
No charge… they said due to the original repair having a 90-day warranty.

I agree though, I bet they forgot to connect the ribbon/cable.
If they did the whole screen wouldn’t work. There’s two ribbons to connect the display and you need to plug in both for the screen to work at all in my experience. Likely it was a faulty screen replacement and they forgot to do audio testing after the repair.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Apple replaced my daughter’s cracked screen earlier this year. They ended up botching the speaker, so my daughter got a replacement 11 for $29, which we ended up trading in for a 14. All in all, we were pleased with Apple and rarely had problems with the Genius Bar.

Reactions: AppleWes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.