Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

George Power Finch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2020
Hi all,

Apologies if this isn’t the right place to post...

I was told by an in store Apple employee I can buy a MacBook Pro and return it if I didn’t like it for a refund within 14 days. I wanted to test the new i9 16” touchbar version to see if it’s a bit overkill for my business or not.

What he didn’t mention was condition... obviously it needs to be returned in immaculate condition however I’ve just noticed there’s a small nick on the side of the USB port, nothing serious, just a scratch. I’ve not taken it off my desk and I opened / set it up in the same place and I know I’ve not knocked it on anything. Would this affect my ability to return it? Slightly concerned currently. He also didn’t mention anything about a restocking fee?

Any help would be appreciated. (Photo of the scratch provided)
C40E8EC1-0B39-4C3A-8EED-5D658122ADF2.jpeg

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I don't know for sure, but I would bet that this would not impact the return.

I think these would go through the Apple refurbished process anyways.

Psyclism

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I've returned two Macs to my local Apple Store, and both times the employee simply verified the serial number on the bottom with what was on the box, then processed the refund. Machine wasn't opened, or even given a second glance. I can't imagine your experience will be any different.

Reactions: sat24

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
Same here. They won’t even look at it. If they did say something, which is highly unlikely, say it was like that when you took it out of the box and you didn’t think it was a big deal. It may have already been like that when you opened the box. I already returned one for a factory defect that was worse than that, there was an actual gash in the aluminum on the hinge, like a little chunk was missing. Also there is no restocking fee. Apple is pretty good with returns.

Is that silver or space grey? Can’t really tell from the pic,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.