Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveo228i

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2020
My MacBook Pro from 2012 has developed serious operating problems. They started after using iBooks. Is there any sequence to use when starting up to bypass most startup apps? I know there use to be or is this something for apple store service?Thanks

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
My MacBook Pro from 2012 has developed serious operating problems. They started after using iBooks. Is there any sequence to use when starting up to bypass most startup apps? I know there use to be or is this something for apple store service?Thanks
I think you want start up in safe mode.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Boot holding the Shift key. That will boot you into Safe Boot mode. Many startup items will be bypassed, as well as some of the drivers.

Check in your System Preferences/Users & Groups pane, then the Login Items tab. Remove items that you don't want starting with your Mac user. (Delete items, don't just uncheck the box.) Nothing is actually removed, and you simply find those apps to use them when you need to.

Can you tell us what kind of problems you are having? System really slow? Do you see the spinning beach ball (often?)

Reactions: Peadogie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.