Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I'm sorry to ask such a simple question but trying to understand the upgrade options through the Apple app.

I currently have an iPhone X with AT&T. When I go to upgrade in the app, it gives the option of a 24-month purchase for the phone minus the trade-in amount. Do I still have the option to trade in after 12 months? If not, I'm assuming I can just sell it next year and pay the remainder and start a new phone upgrade through IUP or AT&T.

I just couldn't find anything in the fine print of the Apple Store app that clarified my options...

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
After a year, you can just pay off the remaining balance and trade that one in on your next phone.

I think you mean you can pay off OR trade in. After a year under the upgrade plan, you can trade in your current iphone having only paid 12 payments. You turn that phone in and you are considered done with that loan. Apple will then start a new 24 month loan with the new phone you choose to upgrade with. Again, after 12 months if you want to upgrade you can.

Basically it’s a pretty awesome way to upgrade for people like myself who upgrade every year. Instead of outright paying for a phone and selling it when I want to upgrade, I’m essentially just renting a phone forever, interest free. Better then stressing out about selling my phone every year, which is what I use to do.

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I think you mean you can pay off OR trade in. After a year under the upgrade plan, you can trade in your current iphone having only paid 12 payments. You turn that phone in and you are considered done with that loan. Apple will then start a new 24 month loan with the new phone you choose to upgrade with. Again, after 12 months if you want to upgrade you can.

Basically it’s a pretty awesome way to upgrade for people like myself who upgrade every year. Instead of outright paying for a phone and selling it when I want to upgrade, I’m essentially just renting a phone forever, interest free. Better then stressing out about selling my phone every year, which is what I use to do.
No, I said what I meant. The OP was asking about the Apple Payments plan, not the upgrade plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.