Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Not sure how much news value another Apple Store still has these days. But reportedly Vienna, Austria may finally receive its first true Apple Store after all these years. News about this surfaced on several national news sites recently (ORF, DerStandard - Sources in German). Today I walked by the supposed location and couldn't stop myself taking a few pictures.

So far nothing really hints at Apple taking over this former Esprit store, maybe except for the now completely black storefronts. It actually seems a bit small to me and not fancy enough for Apple to come here. (Undoubtedly they would completely redo the storefronts, get rid of the nearby restaurant tables and the advertising sign at the corner.)
The store would be located in the true center of the city, in Kärtnerstraße, just in between two of the city's biggest landmarks: the state opera and St. Stephen's Church. Quite a touristy place after all.

IMG_7305.jpg
IMG_7306.jpg
IMG_7307.jpg

Reactions: briquet42 and narr

narr

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Not sure how much news value another Apple Store still has these days. But reportedly Vienna, Austria may finally receive its first true Apple Store after all these years. News about this surfaced on several national news sites recently (ORF, DerStandard - Sources in German). Today I walked by the supposed location and couldn't stop myself taking a few pictures.

So far nothing really hints at Apple taking over this former Esprit store, maybe except for the now completely black storefronts. It actually seems a bit small to me and not fancy enough for Apple to come here. (Undoubtedly they would completely redo the storefronts, get rid of the nearby restaurant tables and the advertising sign at the corner.)
The store would be located in the true center of the city, in Kärtnerstraße, just in between two of the city's biggest landmarks: the state opera and St. Stephen's Church. Quite a touristy place after all.

IMG_7305.jpg
IMG_7306.jpg
IMG_7307.jpg

Scheee warad's! :)

Reactions: Canubis

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
A month has passed since I first took photos of the rumored location of the new Apple Store Vienna, I walked by the property again today. However, nothing really changed so far: the windows are still blacked out, no construction walls have been erected (as I believe would be common for major construction works as Apple would do.)

Interestingly, the offices in the upper floors of the building were lighted up and seemed occupied. Earlier rumors in local newspapers mentioned Apple would rent out the whole building to also accommodate some office space. Not sure how this works together. So far, to be honest, not much looks like we'll Apple selling stuff at Kärtnerstraße anytime soon.

On a sidenote: Another store in the same street, which was previously occupied by Starbucks and got vacant just recently already show signs that the new owner (Zara Home) will open there soon. So vacant spots here usually fill up quickly and it's uncommon to keep shops standing empty for a long time in this street.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.