Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgseye

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
I know the ASD contrast ratio is fairly standard for an IPS display and that with no local dimming, the depth of blacks is supposed to be unimpressive. I'm interested in what people think of it for watching movies/streaming etc? Is the experience ok, especially in low light conditions? I read somewhere on these forums that the screen can actually look grey (in a black scene) in low light? This would be a work monitor - mainly for coding - but I would also watch movies on it occasionally. Wondering if I should also look at mini-LED options....

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Given you're asking the question, I think you should definitely go to an Apple Store and see it before buying. While you will almost certainly like the text clarity for coding, I can't confidently say you will like it for streaming. The lack of HDR sort of shows Apple didn't focus on that use case all that much. It's fine for streaming but nothing like my very high quality OLED TV.

Reactions: picpicmac

jabbr

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
The ASD with its poor 1000:1 contrast ratio is no match compared to a good TV.
It can be OK in a brightly lit room where you can't make out much shadow detail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.