Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Looking at the ASD with nano and ergonomic stand.
Looking at the €2.500 price tag ($2,725).

Is it worth it or should I buy another monitor with comparable speakers and a webcam?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Looking at the ASD with nano and ergonomic stand.
Looking at the €2.500 price tag ($2,725).

Is it worth it or should I buy another monitor with comparable speakers and a webcam?

No one can tell you if it's "worth it" for you... only you can do that.

It's a good monitor, and if you have the disposable cash to make it happen, go for it. On the other hand, I wrestled with replacing my 32" LG with an ASD... while I could easily afford it, the more I dug into what I was trading off to get it, it just didn't make sense for me.

YMMV

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
No one can tell you if it's "worth it" for you... only you can do that.

It's a good monitor, and if you have the disposable cash to make it happen, go for it. On the other hand, I wrestled with replacing my 32" LG with an ASD... while I could easily afford it, the more I dug into what I was trading off to get it, it just didn't make sense for me.

YMMV
I can imagine it being a good monitor. It doesn’t come cheap.
I am wondering if I couldn’t get the same setup for less money? If the difference is like €200 I am fine with it. Not willing to pay a €1.000 premium though.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I can imagine it being a good monitor. It doesn’t come cheap.
I am wondering if I couldn’t get the same setup for less money? If the difference is like €200 I am fine with it. Not willing to pay a €1.000 premium though.

Pretty much where I ended up...
  • I already had the 32" LG 4-K monitor. (~ $349)
  • I already had a good webcam (from the covid years). (~ $100)
  • I already have good speakers and have them mounted on the monitor arm on my desk, so they are not taking up any desktop real estate. (~ $249)
  • I'd be giving up some screen real estate - 32" to 27".
  • Because I'm older, my eyesight isn't what is used to be, so running 2560x1440 resolution, so don't/won't miss the 5K resolution.
  • With LG monitor, I do lose the brightness controls from the Apple keyboards. (Resolved with third party app).
So by using what I had, I saved over $2kUSD (was not interested in/considering the nano glass version)... and I didn't have to find a new home for the LG monitor when I replaced it.

But your situation may be completely different... and I have no idea what other kit you are considering...

Reactions: arkitect and grandM

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Currently own the dell u2713H. It still works but I own it since 2010 or so. Great display but it can’t last forever. My Logitech speakers were bought in 2003 or so and need replacement. My Logitech webcam is still working too but is quite old. Use it often as microphone, not as webcam though. I must install my new Mac mini hence my thoughts on a complete overhaul. Already bought the mini by the way.

Will stick to 2560 x 1440 too.

Reactions: arkitect

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
I've been following discussions and some YouTube videos on the ASD with interest. From what others had to say, some questions come up that might help understand your situation better.

1.) What do you do with your system? Professional work, or just general home use? Do you do graphics or video work? Is excellent color accuracy right out of the box particularly valuable to you?

2.) Do you anticipate wanting or needed to use this monitor with devices other than a Mac, such as a PC (can be done, just you may need a Mac to adjust monitor parameters) or a gaming console (if so, is the 60-Hz refresh rate problematic)?

3.) I haven't heard of a monitor with comparable speakers built-in. Do you already have a speaker setup you like?

4.) The webcam has been criticized as subpar, possibly a concession in quality to enable Center Stage. Is a web cam in the monitor a big deal, and does Center Stage matter?

5.) Build quality - the ASD is praised for the look and feel, reassuring firm aluminum that doesn't flex when grasped and pushed around, unlike the 'cheap plastic' feel of some competitors. Does that really matter to you?

6.) How do you plan to mount it? If you want to stick a VESA arm on it, better order the right version.

7.) Does the added text clarity of 5K sound useful to you? Some people think it's meaningful over 4K, and some don't.

8.) What nano? It's matte finish, IIRC, so it cuts down glare but by report you may lose a bit of that sharpness 5K brought. And it's more expensive. If you prefer matte finish, it'll affect your alternatives.

9.) Are you okay with the port selection? Thunderbolt and USB-C.

To summarize the impression I got from various sources, the ASD is a decent, even good, value if you want/need/appreciate what it offers for what you do with it. Since that's multi-factorial, it's hard to generalize, and that is a lot of money.

Reactions: arkitect and grandM

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
1. Coding, writing courses listening to music, watching movies.
2.No
3. No. Built-in saves some space so that’s a plus if it doesn’t break.
4. No. Beautiful when it is in the display though.
5. No. It never moves.
6. Apple stand. I don’t trust myself with a visa mount.
7. Unsure.
8. It’s next to a window so I’d probably better go matte.
9. Can live with that.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I'm pro-ASD. I have several but I also have a Dell 6K. Given you like nano and want the adjustable stand, I'd at least read the thread on the Dell before I pulled the trigger on the ASD. It has plusses and minuses. If you get interested, feel free to message me any questions. I run two ASD and one Dell 6K side by side off my M1M Studio.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
I've been following discussions and some YouTube videos on the ASD with interest. From what others had to say, some questions come up that might help understand your situation better.

1.) What do you do with your system? Professional work, or just general home use? Do you do graphics or video work? Is excellent color accuracy right out of the box particularly valuable to you?

2.) Do you anticipate wanting or needed to use this monitor with devices other than a Mac, such as a PC (can be done, just you may need a Mac to adjust monitor parameters) or a gaming console (if so, is the 60-Hz refresh rate problematic)?

3.) I haven't heard of a monitor with comparable speakers built-in. Do you already have a speaker setup you like?

4.) The webcam has been criticized as subpar, possibly a concession in quality to enable Center Stage. Is a web cam in the monitor a big deal, and does Center Stage matter?

5.) Build quality - the ASD is praised for the look and feel, reassuring firm aluminum that doesn't flex when grasped and pushed around, unlike the 'cheap plastic' feel of some competitors. Does that really matter to you?

6.) How do you plan to mount it? If you want to stick a VESA arm on it, better order the right version.

7.) Does the added text clarity of 5K sound useful to you? Some people think it's meaningful over 4K, and some don't.

8.) What nano? It's matte finish, IIRC, so it cuts down glare but by report you may lose a bit of that sharpness 5K brought. And it's more expensive. If you prefer matte finish, it'll affect your alternatives.

9.) Are you okay with the port selection? Thunderbolt and USB-C.

To summarize the impression I got from various sources, the ASD is a decent, even good, value if you want/need/appreciate what it offers for what you do with it. Since that's multi-factorial, it's hard to generalize, and that is a lot of money.
Filled it out.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
I'm pro-ASD. I have several but I also have a Dell 6K. Given you like nano and want the adjustable stand, I'd at least read the thread on the Dell before I pulled the trigger on the ASD. It has plusses and minuses. If you get interested, feel free to message me any questions. I run two ASD and one Dell 6K side by side off my M1M Studio.
The 6k seems to come at the same price, actually €200 more expensive. I get the impression the webcam is better but am I correct to assume the speakers are much worse?

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Just read the asd stand adjusts till 4 inches. Is that enough?

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
The 6k seems to come at the same price, actually €200 more expensive. I get the impression the webcam is better but am I correct to assume the speakers are much worse?
Right on the speakers. But I'm also no a huge fan of the ASD speakers. I'm sure they are some of the best internal speakers in a display. However if you want to listen to music or stream content regularly you may be disappointed. I listen to podcasts on my Mac and found the ASD speakers lacking. Added a nice set of external speakers/sub.

In the US we regularly see some pretty deep discounts on the Dell. I paid $2100+tax on Amazon.

Reactions: grandM

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Right on the speakers. But I'm also no a huge fan of the ASD speakers. I'm sure they are some of the best internal speakers in a display. However if you want to listen to music or stream content regularly you may be disappointed. I listen to podcasts on my Mac and found the ASD speakers lacking. Added a nice set of external speakers/sub.

In the US we regularly see some pretty deep discounts on the Dell. I paid $2100+tax on Amazon.
Probably could get a discount through Amazon. Which speakers are great quality?

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
Because I'm older, my eyesight isn't what is used to be, so running 2560x1440 resolution, so don't/won't miss the 5K resolution.

Currently own the dell u2713H. It still works but I own it since 2010 or so. Great display but it can’t last forever. My Logitech speakers were bought in 2003 or so and need replacement. My Logitech webcam is still working too but is quite old. Use it often as microphone, not as webcam though. I must install my new Mac mini hence my thoughts on a complete overhaul. Already bought the mini by the way.

Will stick to 2560 x 1440 too.

Assuming you’re using this with a Mac / macOS, want to clarify the 5K vs 2560 x 1440 resolution. When you use the ASD with macOS, everything “looks like 2560 x 1440” resolution - text size, icon size, etc. However, as the ASD’s 5K is 5120 x 2880, what it does is use 4 pixels for every 1 “look like pixel”. Commonly called HiDPI scaling or pixel-doubling.

That makes text, icons, everything look super smooth. That’s really the main use case of the 5K monitor for Mac - almost no one uses it at a true “looks like 5120 x 2880” resolution, as on 27”, text would be much too small to read.

There still may be other reasons why the ASD doesn’t make sense, but just wanted to make sure you all understood the benefit of the 5K. If you go into an Apple Store and look at the ASD, you’ll be able to see it better, as the default will always be running at “Looks like 2560 x 1440”.

andrew8404

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Loma Linda, Ca
I just got an Apple Studio display and couldn't be happier with it. It just works and looks great next to the MacBook. I really struggled with the price also but I just love the simplicity and Retina display with webcams and speakers built in. I think the speakers are fantastic not sure what's lacking about them unless you really wanted some base. I recommend always going through the Apple Refurbished store to get a better deal plus if your military it's an extra 10% off the refurbished price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jezak

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
I just got an Apple Studio display and couldn't be happier with it. It just works and looks great next to the MacBook. I really struggled with the price also but I just love the simplicity and Retina display with webcams and speakers came in. I think the speakers are fantastic not sure what's lacking about them unless you really wanted some base. I recommend always going through the Apple Refurbished store to get a better deal plus if your military it's an extra 10% off the refurbished price.
It’s a price thing indeed. I honestly find €2.500 a lot of money for a display with integrated speakers and cam. I might end up buying it but the price tag seems wrong.

Reactions: drrich2

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Just noticed it it a bit cheaper through Amazon. Is Amazon new new?

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
It’s a price thing indeed. I honestly find €2.500 a lot of money for a display with integrated speakers and cam. I might end up buying it but the price tag seems wrong.
Just noticed it it a bit cheaper through Amazon. Is Amazon new new?
I can see how your €2500 price feels high. I think you're getting worse "value" for a few reasons:

- You're getting both the Nano-Texture glass (+US$300), and the Height-Adjustable Stand (+US$400). I will use US$ terms as I'm not sure about the € price for everything. But in the US, the base model (standard glass, tilt-only stand) is $1599. Your options add +$700 (so $2399 total price), which is 44% more. Do you get 44% more "value" for having them? Most would say no. Just an unfortunate case where those who want/need those options have to pay quite a bit more for them than those who are ok with the base model. Very similar "value proposition" to those getting Macbook Pros for example - base model, great value. You need 32gb memory / 1TB SSD? Can add +$700 to something that was $2000 to start with. Still may be worth it, but a worse "value proposition" / bang-for-buck than those who are fine with the base model.

- The ASD is almost 2 years old now. And it was already older tech when it came out (essentially same panel as the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor that came out in 2016. Plus, Apple gear rarely goes on sale (certainly never from the Apple store), even when it's old. Part of their model. So when you get an older version at the same retail price, the "value proposition" feels worse

Would also add that your € price I believe includes sales tax / VAT, but I assume you're used to this with everything you buy, so it already is part of your "feels expensive". Whereas for someone in North America, where prices don't include sales tax, to see the headline price in Europe can feel even bigger as latter includes VAT.

So I would echo a few others in the thread that would say if you can buy it either Apple Refurbished (not sure if Europe has an official Apple Refurb online store), or discounted somewhere that's trustworthy, it can help alleviate some of that "feels like I'm overpaying for this" feeling... Not sure about Amazon Europe, but Amazon US, as long as you're buying from either 1) directly Amazon.com, or 2) reputable seller / storefront, you can be confident it's "new".

Reactions: drrich2 and grandM

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
I can see how your €2500 price feels high. I think you're getting worse "value" for a few reasons:

- You're getting both the Nano-Texture glass (+US$300), and the Height-Adjustable Stand (+US$400). I will use US$ terms as I'm not sure about the € price for everything. But in the US, the base model (standard glass, tilt-only stand) is $1599. Your options add +$700 (so $2399 total price), which is 44% more. Do you get 44% more "value" for having them? Most would say no. Just an unfortunate case where those who want/need those options have to pay quite a bit more for them than those who are ok with the base model. Very similar "value proposition" to those getting Macbook Pros for example - base model, great value. You need 32gb memory / 1TB SSD? Can add +$700 to something that was $2000 to start with. Still may be worth it, but a worse "value proposition" / bang-for-buck than those who are fine with the base model.

- The ASD is almost 2 years old now. And it was already older tech when it came out (essentially same panel as the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor that came out in 2016. Plus, Apple gear rarely goes on sale (certainly never from the Apple store), even when it's old. Part of their model. So when you get an older version at the same retail price, the "value proposition" feels worse

Would also add that your € price I believe includes sales tax / VAT, but I assume you're used to this with everything you buy, so it already is part of your "feels expensive". Whereas for someone in North America, where prices don't include sales tax, to see the headline price in Europe can feel even bigger as latter includes VAT.

So I would echo a few others in the thread that would say if you can buy it either Apple Refurbished (not sure if Europe has an official Apple Refurb online store), or discounted somewhere that's trustworthy, it can help alleviate some of that "feels like I'm overpaying for this" feeling... Not sure about Amazon Europe, but Amazon US, as long as you're buying from either 1) directly Amazon.com, or 2) reputable seller / storefront, you can be confident it's "new".
It is expensive. Knowing Apple it can takes forever before a new version hits the shelves. I plan to install my new Mac mini and to be honest I am not sure if I won’t be running into a no longer supported problem. The Dell U2713H isn’t exactly lastest tech. Was looking at the life span of displays. Seems a LED can last till 20 years. I use it intensively though.

The speakers must be renewed and I am not sure the Logitech webcam will still be supported. Might though. The microphone of the cam is used intensely, wonder if the microphone of the ASD works properly.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
I'm actually saving for the $2k version that comes with the tilt-and-height stand, depending on what the rumors end up being I may end up waiting for any upgraded version as it seems likely it will get updated this year or next.

My computer actually cost less than the display but I look at it like this, there are people using the ACD from 14 years ago, several of them in this forum and they seem to be pretty happy with it. So you have at least a solid 10 years of use out of it. It's a good build quality probably the best around, it has very good speakers, there's no fussing with anything and if for some reason it doesn't work that's what you get AppleCare for and as far as I can tell the AppleCare goes on for longer than 2 years with the monitor, otherwise you have the option of extending it out another year for $50 a year. Besides that, when I upgrade to a new computer in a few years, I got a perfectly good monitor to use with it.

The problem with the monitor is it is 5k which is an odd resolution compared to a 4k monitor for example so when comparing it to other 5k monitors (and I've watched plenty of reviews and such) it is 100% the best one out there for a Mac user. I'd say if you got the money get it.

Reactions: grandM

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
I'm actually saving for the $2k version that comes with the tilt-and-height stand, depending on what the rumors end up being I may end up waiting for any upgraded version as it seems likely it will get updated this year or next.
Curious, where are you seeing rumors that they may upgrade the ASD? I haven't heard that - if anything, it's possible they upgrade the Pro Display XDR as that's even more dated at this point.

My computer actually cost less than the display but I look at it like this, there are people using the ACD from 14 years ago, several of them in this forum and they seem to be pretty happy with it. So you have at least a solid 10 years of use out of it. It's a good build quality probably the best around, it has very good speakers, there's no fussing with anything and if for some reason it doesn't work that's what you get AppleCare for and as far as I can tell the AppleCare goes on for longer than 2 years with the monitor, otherwise you have the option of extending it out another year for $50 a year. Besides that, when I upgrade to a new computer in a few years, I got a perfectly good monitor to use with it.

The problem with the monitor is it is 5k which is an odd resolution compared to a 4k monitor for example so when comparing it to other 5k monitors (and I've watched plenty of reviews and such) it is 100% the best one out there for a Mac user. I'd say if you got the money get it.
Absolutely - a good monitor will well outlast a good computer, multiple computers even. Especially ones with the build-quality of Apple monitors.

Yes, as you say, the thing with a 5K resolution (and why very few manufacturers make it) is it's somewhat of a niche use case that makes most sense for MacOS users who want to use an effective 2560 x 1440 resolution (in terms of size of icons, text, etc.) with a super-crispy "pixel-doubling". So 5K's 5120 x 2880 pixels, every 4 real pixels being used to show 1 screen "pixel". Windows doesn't do this kind of HiDPI scaling, so a 5K monitor is not really as useful / needed.

That lower demand, coupled with the fact that they're expensive to manufacture to have that many more pixels, is likely why there's so few 5K monitors out there. Whereas 27" 4K monitors are all over the place at really good price points.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I may end up waiting for any upgraded version as it seems likely it will get updated this year or next.
I don't see it being updated until Thunderbolt 5 is released. A 5K 120Hz panel would require more bandwidth than TB4 can carry, so there's not much else Apple can do to the ASD until then. And then that still depends on if/when LG can make a 5K 120Hz panel.

I suspect the XDR will be first in line for an update, but again will require TB5 to be a thing before it can be updated.

My personal prediction is no updates until sometime in 2025. And since 2024 is just getting started, you're going to have a long wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.