Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Would someone mind playing this song (no reason just shuffling classical playlists and noticed this song was doing it), and tell me if they whole song sounds like parts with loud static even with the volume around 33-50% or so?
To me, this sounds awful on everything I play it. Not just that one song, everything on that EP is dreadful quality.

It's the same on YouTube.

• Haha
Reactions: sahajesh

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
Open iTunes, then go to the top menu bar → window → equalizer → then check "on" and change it to "spoken word"

I'd like to think I know my way around macOS a little bit having used is since 2003… but checking the equalizer never crossed my mind. evidently I had changed it to spoken word while listening to something spoken so long ago I forgot. putting the equalizer back to normal (off) fixed it I think. the song linked to as an example still sounds like a less than stellar recording as someone pointed out… but the constant crackling on certain piano notes is gone.

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
Open iTunes, then go to the top menu bar → window → equalizer → then check "on" and change it to "spoken word"

I'd like to think I know my way around macOS a little bit having used is since 2003… but checking the equalizer never crossed my mind. evidently I had changed it to spoken word while listening to something spoken so long ago I forgot. putting the equalizer back to normal (off) fixed it I think. the song linked to as an example still sounds like a less than stellar recording as someone pointed out… but the constant crackling on certain piano notes is gone.
I know how to open the equalizer but how do I get that song to open up in my Music application without having to buy the song? This is what I meant. I don't buy songs from iTunes.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
the song linked to as an example still sounds like a less than stellar recording as someone pointed out… but the constant crackling on certain piano notes is gone.
The recording of that EP is crap, no matter what source I use, no matter what equipment I play it on, it sounds terrible.

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
thanks all, I found one more thing that is very apparent on my machine if anyone else would not mind helping me out… have a appt at the Apple Store the day after Christmas, an hour away, that will take all day not counting taking my office setup apart...

in the Mac version of the dark noise app, the "brown noise" sound does a bad static crackling that makes me cringe. the other ’colors’ are fine, white, pink, gray, etc but when I change it to brown and turn the volume up past 10% and when it gets around 25% it starts. anyone here have the dark noise app that could lend a hand?

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
I’ve purchased many refurbished machines but how have the displays been? I’ve been stalking the site for new inventory.

jabbr

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
any reports of the electrical buzzing problem being addressed in more recently manufactured ASDs?

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
any reports of the electrical buzzing problem being addressed in more recently manufactured ASDs?
That’s hard to tell because most users have zero buzzing. My until is 1.5 years old and never buzzed or made any noise. And I have very sensitive hearing. If I stick my ear up top I can pick up a whoosh from the air that is always blowing but there is no noise. I love the ASD.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
That’s hard to tell because most users have zero buzzing. My until is 1.5 years old and never buzzed or made any noise. And I have very sensitive hearing. If I stick my ear up top I can pick up a whoosh from the air that is always blowing but there is no noise.

Same here, ordered the day it launched.

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
That’s hard to tell because most users have zero buzzing. My until is 1.5 years old and never buzzed or made any noise. And I have very sensitive hearing. If I stick my ear up top I can pick up a whoosh from the air that is always blowing but there is no noise. I love the ASD.
Same here. I can feel the air coming out the top but no buzz. The ASD is the most amazing monitor. I had a 20" Apple Cinema Display(the ADC plastic one) that I really liked but the ASD's image is so sharp.

Reactions: tucogovinda

jabbr

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
yeah, I didn't mind the wooshing as it's inaudible at working distance. The one I had started to buzz about a week after receiving it.

justmadeupname

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2022
Hi. Yes it is crisp to me and looks great without reflection. One of the downside is you have to take extra care of the display as it is not as durable as glass.
Just wondered what extra care this was? For example should you only use (I presume) the included cloth.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Just wondered what extra care this was? For example should you only use (I presume) the included cloth.
What included cloth?

My new Studio Display did not come with a cloth. I thought it was only included for the nano-texture version?

The Apple webpage does not state that there will be a cloth included ("In the Box" states only the display and the Thunderbolt cable).

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I’ve purchased many refurbished machines but how have the displays been? I’ve been stalking the site for new inventory.

I keep hoping for a Vesa mount standard glass, but I'm not feeling too optimistic that we'll be seeing many of those show up in the refurb store given that lots of online outlets have that backordered while the standard version with the tilt stand is discounted by $100.

I'll probably just give up and buy a new one.

Last edited:
Reactions: picpicmac

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Does Alienware laptops work with the Apple Studio Display. It has Thunderbolt 4 so it should work?

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
I just recently purchased the Studio Display after passing it up when it first came out. I instead a year ago purchased the 24” 4K LG Ultra-fine monitor that Apple provides. It was excellent! Did everything I needed, especially the second thunderbolt port that the Studio Display does not have.

But I gave it to my wife, along with my m1 mini since she needed it and I instead have M1 16” MacBook Pro 2021. It is beyond excellent and just use it for video editing now (want a Mac Studio, but that is another story) :)

Instead of repurchasing the 24” LG, I recently sold Mac Pro 2013 with other video gear and had enough money to buy the Studio Display, including the adjustable stand option. It was like an even swop with no extra money that I needed to pay so I reluctantly gave it a try (even though I passed it up last year and thought “too much money” for it and the glare bugged me when I looked at it in the store). Also Looked at the Nano-texture at An Apple Store six months ago and said - nope…I do video work and it is a little fuzzy on the text, but nice, but made the decision that I would not EVEN consider buying….the Studio Display (coming from Apple’s thunderbolt monitor and Cinema Display before).

But decide to buy it…after a few days using it…it is great! I repent! Wonderful monitor. Once I got over the price, I thought I will keep it for many years anyway and convinced myself it is ok and forgot about the cost.

If anyone is considering the Studio Monitor it is
worth it “if” you can stomach the cost. Would be nice to have a second thunderbolt port, but I have two left on MacBook Pro 2021, so I am ok. ;).

Glad I was able to get the money for it after all!
The nano version?

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
The nano version?
I went to the Apple Store and checked out the nano version before buying. The nano version is good for cutting the glare, but went with the regular glass because the quality and sharpness of the picture is better. You loose a little clarity with the nano. I work with video editing, so I did not want to loose anything.

What I will do is try to put the monitor in an area where windows and lighting don't effect it much. The glass is better than my thunderbolt monitor as far as glare (it's like a mirror), but the new one does cut some of the mirroring effect and is acceptable.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I just replaced my LG 5K Ultrafine with an Apple Studio Display because the image retention in my Ultrafine was starting to annoy me too much. The picture quality isn't noticeably different (as expected). The ASD has 100 more nits in brightness, but given that I wasn't even maxing out the 500 nits of the Ultrafine, it's not a big deal.

I've read some glowing reviews of the ASD's speakers. They're above average and are excellent for some listening tasks, but won't even come close to replacing my set of 35W bookshelf speakers. They seem specifically engineered to enrich the mostly flat audio you'd encounter in online videos. If you have audio that's limited in tonal range, it really shines and hides the flatness of the audio source. If you're listening to high quality rock or pop tracks that mix together a lot of highs and lows, the midrange will seem missing and it'll sound hollowed out.

So they're excellent "daily task" speakers, but not great if you really want to enjoy your music. Though, I should note that with the right track, the ASD's sound does outperform my bookshelf speakers.

I also appreciate that it's lighter than the LG Ultrafine. It adjusts more smoothly on my monitor arm and the 2 pound weight difference is enough that some of the lighter monitor arms can handle an ASD.

I'm happy with my purchase, but if I didn't have image retention issues with my Ultrafine, it wouldn't have been worth it for me to upgrade. The ASD is a better monitor in every way, but not significantly better in the areas where it counts the most.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wheel_D and etc

AppleUser29912

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2022
Has anyone been able to connect xbox one to studio display? I bought hdmi to usb c adapter but it didnt work. What do i need to connect my xbox to studio display?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.