Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

missaq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2023
Hey guys,

I have a Studio Display that I use with my MacBook Air (mainly personal use) and my HP ZBook Power 15.6 inch G8 Mobile Workstation on Win11 (mainly corporate use).

The devices are connected with the supplied Thunderbolt cable from Studio Display.
A few times a day, with no obvious trigger, the audio will glitch and cut out momentarily (like a loud static sound) and/or the mic will stop working.
This can often be resolved by toggling the inputs in Zoom or Teams, but disrupts my meetings as people suddenly can't hear me.

Everything runs smoothly with the Macbook.
With the HP ZBook, the problems started after about a month.
I'm not sure anymore, but somehow I have the feeling that it happened after a Windows update.
I have tried updating all drivers, uninstalling/reinstalling etc. without success.

I have also tried different Thunderbolt 4 cables from other manufacturers. Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem either

Have any of you had the same experience and been able to fix it?

missaq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2023
After months of research, I was able to narrow down the problem to some extent.

I found out that the driver (marked in the picture) is responsible for the camera, sound and microphone.

c3c8ecd0-e5a9-4c04-a7b2-31b598a71f3a

I am convinced that this driver is responsible for the distorted sound as well as for the sudden switching off of the microphone during a session (no matter if Teams or Zoom).

The question now is who is at fault? Apple, Microsoft, Intel or HP?

Believe me, I have gone through the Install/Uninstall, Upgrade/Downgrade Game.

Reactions: Cape Dave

missaq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2023
This morning I installed Ubuntu on the same machine and had no problems with the Studio Display.
Neither distorted sound nor microphone dropouts.

So the problem really seems to be with Windows. In my case, Windows 11 (22H2).

That's why it's even more important, if you haven't already done so, to tell Microsoft via the Feedback-Hub or give an upvote to my feedback: https://aka.ms/AAmgwe6

Last edited:
Reactions: Cape Dave

fjfjfjfj

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
New York, NY
Did anyone find a solve for this? I got a new Studio Display this weekend and am loving it but the audio / mic cuts out randomly when connected to my work HP laptop and using Microsoft Teams. It's very annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.