Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kove

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2018
I was talking with a chat agent and they asked for my Apple ID email. After providing it, they said there will be a code sent to the phone so they can run some checks to confirm certain factors in question. I did not feel comfortable, especially considering this was over chat. A quick google search directly quotes Apple saying you should never give you Apple ID to anyone and Apple will never ask you for personal information such as that. Is this a standard procedure?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Apple will never ask you for personal information such as that

They didn't ask you for your password, just your email address, right? How would they know who you were if you didn't supply that information?

I wasn't aware that you could actually chat to a support gent without logging in first.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Apple has the ability to remotely evaluate the condition of your device, if you are talking (chatting) to them and some troubleshooting is needed. I did this recently in order to check the condition of the battery on my older iPads. I don't recall the exact sequence that was needed but of course they needed to communicate with the iPad in this case, in order to do the troubleshooting. I believe I've gone through a similar process in the past when my iPhone had an issue with the camera - I ended up having the camera and battery replaced at the closest Apple Store, but the initial troubleshooting was done remotely by Apple.

As @nicho says, they need to confirm your contact information in order to do this. I don't know how else it would be possible.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I was talking with a chat agent and they asked for my Apple ID email. After providing it, they said there will be a code sent to the phone so they can run some checks to confirm certain factors in question. I did not feel comfortable, especially considering this was over chat. A quick google search directly quotes Apple saying you should never give you Apple ID to anyone and Apple will never ask you for personal information such as that. Is this a standard procedure?
Never provide your password, security questions, verification codes, recovery key, or any other account security details to anyone else. Apple will never ask you for this information.

If Apple Support needs to verify your identity, we might ask you to generate a temporary Support PIN. We'll only ask for this information over the phone after you contact Apple Support for help.

Nothing there about the Apple ID itself. They absolutely need it to know who you are.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Kove

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2018

Nothing there about the Apple ID itself. They absolutely need it to know who you are.
Yes, thank you all. The verification code part is what confused me as I assumed the code sent to my phone would give the agent access if I were to provide it to them. Had to double check but it seems I was being paranoid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.