Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
I recently had an Apple device in need of replacement. So Apple put a hold on my credit card the cost of the device until I shipped them the new device.

The cost of the return was just a little bit more than the actual item itself. Which was weird, but it’s only a credit card hold. As long as the devices are sent back within the window, the hold gets released.

When the new device finally came in, I discovered it was just the device. In different packaging and other styls… no cables, no documentation, and even though it was a new device, it was just missing a few things.

This was strange to me, and it’s probably Apple‘s attempt to save more money, but if you didn’t return the device, they were going to charge you for the items that it didn’t ship with… For instance, if it’s an Apple TV, they will charge you for the remote that comes with the TV and the cables as if it was a brand new TV, but they only ship to the new device.

Honestly, I’m just shocked. I guess I shouldn’t be shocked in a world where they no longer give new power packs with the device even though they are calling it an environment with the device. Even though they are calling it an environment, friendly move. They’re also saving a lot of money, in addition to it being an environmental thing.

I don’t want to steer you wrong, but it’s safe to say it’s a business strategy. They’re saving money, and their consumers have to pay for what used to be customary.

Personally, I look forward to a new cable and charger at the end of every iPhone… So that new locations I frequently visit get their dedicated cord and power plug. You know, without me having to pay for a new power adapter because it came customary with the purchase of an iPhone.

I mean, I’m still waiting for actual wireless and contactless charging. Whatever “people” call wireless charging now is both not wireless and not contactless. You still have to attach the device to a puck with both a cable in direct contact with the device (and or cases that support it).

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
This was strange to me, and it’s probably Apple‘s attempt to save more money, but if you didn’t return the device, they were going to charge you for the items that it didn’t ship with… For instance, if it’s an Apple TV, they will charge you for the remote that comes with the TV and the cables as if it was a brand new TV, but they only ship to the new device.
How do you know how much Apple will charge you when you don’t return the device? Did you experience that? A credit card hold is just that, not necessarily what they actually charge.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
How do you know how much Apple will charge you when you don’t return the device? Did you experience that? A credit card hold is just that, not necessarily what they actually charge.
Their contract was specific and the hold matched the terms. At the moment, no.

wellander1

Contributor
Apr 30, 2019
Chandler az
And they should only ship the item that will solve your problem not entire kits. Unlike the SiriusXM warranty dept that ships out whole kits and you only take the item from it that will fix your problem.

Reactions: jumpcutking

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
That all being said, I thought it was very interesting. In any event, my problem is resolved. I discovered it was the remote not the TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.