Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hugierogers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2024
Hi
I have just had yet another **** experience with Applle web chat.
Okay i cant afford the latest machines.
So far i have
Mac Mini server 2010 - out of commission Motherboard connection issue for the second drive
Mac Mini 2011 running High Sierra
Macbook Pro Mid 2014 15" - out of commission because of broken screen and battery swollen after 324 cycles.
Macbook pro Mid 2017 touch bar 15" brought off ebay for £340 I HATE THIS KEYBOARD - anyway apple has a keyboard replacement progrtam for this machine as you can tell by my typing.!!! so went on website saw said article, last time i got told that this machine is available for it. Today i get told its not and you have to pay for it? What is going on who do i believe?
I used to work in IT and i am NEVER buying another Apple product again until they put the replacement keyboard inn for free like it says on ther website . If this is njot the case take the dam thing offline.
anyone have any ideas as to weather my top casee and batteery will be changhed to ?
Oh and any advcice on how to get sticker marks oiff this ? ive been told sanititser works but it quite cxlearly does not.
Oh and i wanna fix my 2014? is parts for thjese cheaper in the US or UK? Ive been quoted for 270£ for screen and battery replacment. Oh asnd another issue what in hell were Apple thinking of replacing the magnetic charger with USBC ibve had no end of issues with all USBC ports on this dam laptop. Does anyone know if they have magnetic USBc chargers like the magsafe available? before i consign this to thje trash.
THANKS
Hugp

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Macbook pro Mid 2017 touch bar 15" brought off ebay for £340 I HATE THIS KEYBOARD - anyway apple has a keyboard replacement progrtam for this machine as you can tell by my typing.!!! so went on website saw said article, last time i got told that this machine is available for it. Today i get told its not and you have to pay for it? What is going on who do i believe? "

You're not going to like this reply.

The Apple rep is right.
There WAS a "replacement program" for the bad butterfly keyboards, but it was only for FOUR years from the date of original purchase (that's the first owner, not you).

That is long expired, back in 2021.
If you want the keyboard fixed, YOU'RE going to have to pay.
And it's going to cost you about $750.
That's because on the butterfly-key Macs, the ENTIRE TOP CASE must be replaced, even if ONLY ONE key is broken.

Face it -- you made a bad buy with this one.
This is what it is.
There's no way around it.
Either pay for the repair, or live with the keyboard as it is now.

I told you that you weren't going to like this reply.

-----------

Fishrrman's rules for used MacBook buying:

DO NOT BUY:
MacBook Pro 13" -- 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
ALL of these have the disastrous "butterfly keyboards" that are highly-prone to failure. Although Apple has a free replacement program running for 4 years "from new", when that time expires YOU will pay for the repair.
And it's NOT CHEAP -- $750 for even a single key gone bad.
That's because the entire top case has to be replaced... even for a single key failure!

DO BUY:
MacBook Pro 13" -- 2020
MacBook Pro 16" -- 2019 and later.
These have the new "magic" (scissors) keyboards, as did the 2015 and earlier MBPs. These keyboards have been very reliable.

Also:
MacBook Pro 14" or 16" -- 2021

hugierogers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2024
Hi Fisherman!
Yeop i only have the one key issue but the majority oif them are screwed anyway due to my typing.
So if i take it to apple UK in Reading, they will charge me ridiculous amount?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi Fisherman!
Yeop i only have the one key issue but the majority oif them are screwed anyway due to my typing.
So if i take it to apple UK in Reading, they will charge me ridiculous amount?
Yes, that computer is long out of the extended keyboard warranty, and you'd have to pay if you want Apple to replace it. The problem is that the replacement is the exact same defective design so the replacement can also fail so it's really not worth the money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.