Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Because the lack of sunlight for half the year makes people depressed. Edit: Alaska has the highest suicide rate of any US state - even though depression is rare - http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-11-28-depression-suicide-numbers_N.htm

----------

Frankly I don't think the fiscal cliff will be that bad. I thought it was only supposed to drop the size of the US economy by 0.5% or so.

Given the deficit reduction it causes its probably almost worth it.

Always look on the bright side of life Da, dee da, dee da, de dum dum Always look on the........ Okay now everyone.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Ah yes, an intelligent response. I have followed politics very closely since a young age, it's always held my attention. If we step back & look at the big picture, it's our two party system that's straining under the changing dynamics of our society, and ever powerful, highly influential media.

Sound bites playing a role of great significance, have taken campaigning, & changed the process forever. Influencing large segments of our society that may not have the time, or desire to keep themselves informed, so as to make their own decision, when it comes to what serves them best.

There's more than just that of course, a very daunting task at best. Far too much to summarize in a post, the bottom line is that we desperately need people on all sides to work together. That in & of itself would produce far better results than mud slinging.

The extreme left and the extreme right have something in common; given enough power and control both lead to Fascism. Hitler's Germany was born of the extreme right and Stalin's Russia born of the extreme left. The extreme left is the female animal instinct running wild, and the extreme right is the male animal instinct running wild. Humans (Men and Women) have both instincts to choose from. If they use objectivity instead of emotion, they will choose wisely and not necessarily in accordance with their natural gender bias . Nature (or God depending on your view) created two sexes with different instincts for a reason. The reason is to balance and temper each other.Truth is in the balance. The extreme components never objectively listen to the other side and nothing is ever accomplished but ranting and raving. Thank God (or Nature) for all the people in the middle, they are the voice of sanity, they are the ones with a balanced view and they are the ones who keep things moving forward despite all the loud and frenzied rhetoric from the extremes.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Yes, I agree that we are treading on thin ice. What you are saying would infer that Obama and his cronies are completely incompetent or ignorant, or both.
Kinda.

Counter-logic putting "social justice" above "economic and fiscal reality.

That's not "black", "stupid", or "treasonous", no matter how much of those elements actually exist.

cites:

http://finance.townhall.com/columni...o_soak_the_rich_keep_tax_rates_low/page/full/

http://reason.com/archives/2012/05/08/why-were-losing

http://www.humanevents.com/2012/11/...growing-stronger-the-recovery-is-speeding-up/

http://www.redstate.com/gamecock/20...ygook-cooked-jobs-book-trifecta-and-columbus/

Last edited:

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Always look on the bright side of life Da, dee da, dee da, de dum dum Always look on the........ Okay now everyone.

Do you have a substantive reply?

The extreme left and the extreme right have something in common; given enough power and control both lead to Fascism. Hitler's Germany was born of the extreme right and Stalin's Russia born of the extreme left. The extreme left is the female animal instinct running wild, and the extreme right is the male animal instinct running wild.

What on earth are you talking about?

Thank God (or Nature) for all the people in the middle, they are the voice of sanity, they are the ones with a balanced view

Usually yes. However sometimes you need to do more extreme actions so more extreme viewpoints should also be considered.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Do you have a substantive reply?

What on earth are you talking about?

Usually yes. However sometimes you need to do more extreme actions so more extreme viewpoints should also be considered.

1. Do you have a substantive reply?

I thought it called for a more humorous approach. What no sense of humor?

2. What on earth are you talking about?

Yeah, I get that a lot. If you don't understand don't worry about it. Someday when you least expect it may come to you.

3.Usually yes. However sometimes you need to do more extreme actions so more extreme viewpoints should also be considered.

The extreme ideas need to be filtered and channeled to the center and then moved forward. We're talking about some form of democracy. Obviously, in a dictatorship none of this matters.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
The extreme left and the extreme right have something in common; given enough power and control both lead to Fascism.

When you try to examine something at this level of abstraction, it's too easy to lose track of what is actually happening.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
When you try to examine something at this level of abstraction, it's too easy to lose track of what is actually happening.

At that level of abstraction details are lost. Yes, but that's the whole point of abstraction. The question is simply, whether or not these ideas are true in the abstract.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I guess this is a very slow news day. So, Bob Mansfield sold some stock. I guess he wants to spend some money. Or, invest in some other company besides Apple. Either way, somebody explain why anyone should care, and, why this is in PRSI.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
1. Do you have a substantive reply?

I thought it called for a more humorous approach. What no sense of humor?

I pointed out that suicides are generally higher in countries that are more northern, you said la la la, I guess you were conceding the point...

2. What on earth are you talking about?

Yeah, I get that a lot. If you don't understand don't worry about it. Someday when you least expect it may come to you.

If you can't explain it then you are communicating poorly, which is bad.

The extreme ideas need to be filtered and channeled to the center and then moved forward.

But they still have to exist.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Nothing says 'patriotic American' like not paying taxes :rolleyes:

There's something inherently patriotic in being ok with handing over additional portions of your income to a government that has proven, time and time again, it has a hard time properly managing the income they already take in?

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
I n

Hmmm when did I mention taxes? Well I guess half io America isn't very patriotic according to you :rolleyes:

That's a total fallacy, everyone pays some sort of taxes.

----------

There's something inherently patriotic in being ok with handing over additional portions of your income to a government that has proven, time and time again, it has a hard time properly managing the income they already take in?

There's something inherently patriotic in helping the country when it is in need, including economic need. Also, I mention in passing that taxes are the cost of civilization.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I guess this is a very slow news day. So, Bob Mansfield sold some stock. I guess he wants to spend some money. Or, invest in some other company besides Apple. Either way, somebody explain why anyone should care, and, why this is in PRSI.

Exactly. Bob got the job many years ago for whatever reason and I guess he did a good enough job that he got a lot of stock options. Because the company was very successful (which he played a significant role in) he was able to sell his stock for lots of money. Does anyone see a problem with this? I sure don't. I suppose you could be jealous of Bob, but I don't see the point in that. So what... Bob's rich. Who cares?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.