Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
Just thought I'd mock up a few idea of which existing games and game types would work well on the iSlate/iPad. I reckon RTS, simulation, turn based strategies, tower defence, point and click adventures and hack and slash games would work even better on the iSlate than the iPhone.

21metmp.jpg

WarCraft 3

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (War3 or WC3 or RoC) is a real-time strategy computer game released by Blizzard Entertainment.

1mb0m.jpg

Broken Sword: Directors Cut

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars - Director's Cut is the fifth title in the Broken Sword series, a remake of the original Broken Sword, and was released on the Nintendo DS and Wii in March 2009. It has been submitted to the App Store and will be available to iPhone and iPod Touch users by the end of the month, and the developers have expressed interest in bringing it to an Apple tablet.

4gj0gg.jpg

Europa Universalis III

Europa Universalis III (EUIII) is a grand strategy computer game by Paradox Interactive. The original game (without expansions) starts in 1453, right after the Fall of Constantinople, and continues to 1789, just past the beginning of the French Revolution. The player controls a nation and handles matters concerning war, diplomacy, trade, and the economy.

33adp2h.jpg

Fieldrunners

Y'all know this.

2a8gjyp.jpg

Diablo 3 (lol)

Diablo III is an action role-playing game in a hack and slash and dungeon-roaming style, currently in development as the third installment of Blizzard's Diablo franchise.

2q0w014.jpg

Sims 3

The Sims 3 is a strategic life simulation video game in The Sims franchise, originally created by Maxis.

2m3pfmd.jpg

Escape Velocity: Nova

Escape Velocity Nova (a.k.a. EV Nova or EVN) is a computer game by Ambrosia Software, in collaboration with ATMOS. It is the third game in the Escape Velocity series of space trading & combat games.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Nice. Always fun to speculate the design/form factor, but the problem I keep thinking about is IF... in fact the tablet looks anything like your pics, how the hell will you hold it without always having your fingers on the screen. My iPhone sits in my hand and I can hold it easily with one hand to play a game. Mostly thinking with regards to watching a movie vs gameplay.

I'm wondering how to deal with the larger size table, especially if it's a slick surface such as the iPhone is currently. All aluminum would help I guess but still going to be interesting how the ergonomics work for such a device.

However it ends up looking, I look forward to seeing this thing finally out in the open. It's not everyday we see a real unicorn appear :)

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I can already see pick of the week on MacBreak being fieldwarriors/similar app for the tablet by Alex Lynsday...
On a more serious note - I wonder if this will push 3D, better graphics on the web? There are already some pushes to do this - e.g. C3DL, O3D
http://arstechnica.com/software/news/2009/04/google-releases-3d-graphics-plugin-for-browsers.ars

beachscreenshot-thumb-640xauto-4609.jpg

O3D works on a users desktop by taking advantage of the GPU (hardware graphics accleration) by way of the OpenGL or Direct3D library.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uofWfXOzX-g

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Have fun trying to play some of those games (EUIII, Nova, WC3, Sims 3) for more than about 45 minutes before your battery dies. Not to mention the Tablet won't have a standard "full power" processor. Some of those games get even more resource heavy the further into the game you go.

That doesn't even touch on the inefficiency issues you'd face actually manipulating the controls on a tablet.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Unless the games are point and click or puzzles, I doubt I'll enjoy them. Even the highly-rated games on the iPhone I find boring after a few minutes. I just can't get into touch controls. Dexter and Field Runners are the only games I've enjoyed thus far. Many of the puzzle games are nice though.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Unless the games are point and click or puzzles, I doubt I'll enjoy them. Even the highly-rated games on the iPhone I find boring after a few minutes. I just can't get into touch controls. Dexter and Field Runners are the only games I've enjoyed thus far. Many of the puzzle games are nice though.

But isn't that it exactly? There are some games that fit the form factor. Field Runners etc - that suit it. For 99p or 99 cents, it ain't bad for a few minutes entertainment. And everyone's got different tastes.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
Also RTS and hack and slash are more or less perfectly suited to a touch screen interface.

A Rev A iMac can push some basic WarCraft 3, if optimised I'd be surprised if the tablet couldn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.