Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
I had an M1 iMac. Given recent history, I was guessing the iMac would not be updated for a couple of years after they introduced M3. So I upgraded, namely for more storage. But now - Apple is allegedly releasing an M4 iMac later this year? I could have waiter for that. These Apple Silicon release cadences are starting to confused me

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
I’m finally ready to replace my tricked-out 2017 27” iMac later this year, but I’m not sure wether to go with a new iMac, or a Mac Studio with display.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
I had an M1 iMac. Given recent history, I was guessing the iMac would not be updated for a couple of years after they introduced M3. So I upgraded, namely for more storage. But now - Apple is allegedly releasing an M4 iMac later this year? I could have waiter for that. These Apple Silicon release cadences are starting to confused me
Maybe this means they will do something significant with the M4 iMac? I mean, last year all they did was take the existing Apple Silicon iMacs and replace the M1 chip with an M3. While it is a noticeable internal change (leading to a fairly big performance boost over the previous model), it wasn't that big a difference.

Reactions: Agile55

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
I do not think moving the M3 iMac to M4 will produce earth shattering advances. We always get huge promises that fall short . . . .

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
I’m finally ready to replace my tricked-out 2017 27” iMac later this year, but I’m not sure wether to go with a new iMac, or a Mac Studio with display.
I went through the same question when I bought my M3 iMac but when I looked at what I really was using the computer for, the MacStudio was overkill. It is a lot of money that can be used on the new iPad Pro 13" or the iPhone 16 or BOTH . . . my M3 iMac is exceeding my demands and takes little room on the desktop.

Last edited:
Reactions: BergerFan

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
I went through the same question when I bought my M3 iMac bit when I looked at what I really was using the computer for, the MacStudio was overkill. It is a lot of money that can be used on the new iPad Pro 13 or the iPhone 16 or BOTH . . . The M3 iMac is exceeding my demands
Yeah I’m leaning towards the iMac too. The most strenuous thing I do is a bit of casual 1080p/1440p video editing in FCPX. My current iMac has been lagging in this regard for a few years now, so I guess even a current iMac would chomp through that without even breathing.

That should see me though another 5-7 years.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Yeah I’m leaning towards the iMac too. The most strenuous thing I do is a bit of casual 1080p/1440p video editing in FCPX. My current iMac has been lagging in this regard for a few years now, so I guess even a current iMac would chomp through that without even breathing.

That should see me though another 5-7 years.

I use Elements all the time on images exceeding 60mb and my M3 does not even hesitate. I suggest getting the 16gb RAM but I have a friend who has only 8gb on his M3 iMac and it seems just as fast in Elements. I am expecting good service from my M3 for years to come!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.