Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I updated my original message. Spell-check is ridiculous. :)

I have a niece named 'Rylee'. When anyone used to text about her, spell-check changed it to 'Tyler'. Initially we were confused, but we got used to it, then later when everyone mentioned 'Tyler', we all knew who they were referring to.

It hasn't happened in the past few months, so I don't know if it's been 'fixed'?
I'm just glad you didn't correct it until after I put Tux on a bunny. :)

Yeah, autocorrect can be super aggressive. Dunno if you're aware but you can add unique names to your text replacement dictionary (without a shortcut word), and it'll stop correcting it. It'll even suggest it in the predictive keyboard if you misspell.

IMG_2499.jpg

Convincing the rest of your family to do the same, however…

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I'm just glad you didn't correct it until after I put Tux on a bunny. :)

Yeah, autocorrect can be super aggressive. Dunno if you're aware but you can add unique names to your text replacement dictionary (without a shortcut word), and it'll stop correcting it. It'll even suggest it in the predictive keyboard if you misspell.

Thank you. That's a great suggestion!

Just recently, whenever I type in 20, autocorrect keeps wanting to change it to 2.0. And it changes 50 to 5-0. This will help here immensely! Thanks!

Reactions: AngerDanger

mrkkbb

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
Question. Of all the major cybersecurity breaches, how many of them involved open source software vs proprietary? Really would like to know.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Log4j being used de facto in so many Java projects means its important, one of the best and popular right? This was and still is a global event so surely there is some muscle behind it right? Log4j had three sponsors through GitHub before the latest vuln. Lets look at Ralph Goers (Log4j Developer) GitHub profile.

Where is his office to park his Lamborghini? Who is writing his checks for his work on Log4j? Google? Apple? DoD? Amazon? The US? China? Oh thats right. No one. No one cared before the latest vuln came out. That's exactly the point. Support these guys before it's too late!

Log4j's project sponsorship skyrockets after critical bug exploitation

"Open Source" is Broken (relates to OSS funding)

I'm gettign the feeling you are saying OSS is the issue here with vulnerabilities, even though there are constant vulnerabilities being discovered in closed source software around the world? Writing bug free software is almost impossible, it doesn't matter if it's OSS or not.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
"One hack, which the U.S. government has said was likely orchestrated by Russia....."

what a bunch of fools, Likely?
if they cant figure out the hacker, then just give up!

the sad thing is taxpayer money is already wasted on this over-barring and useless scheme

Reactions: DanTSX

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
I'm gettign the feeling you are saying OSS is the issue here with vulnerabilities, even though there are constant vulnerabilities being discovered in closed source software around the world?
No, not at all. How did you infer that from any my previous posts? I am an open source contributor as are many here .

You responded to my post saying that most 'popular' OSS projects are well funded. This is 100% false, and I used Log4j as an example. Who is working on Log4j full time, collecting a paycheck? Thats my point. There are certainly OSS which is very well funded. Any project that Apple picks up is really well funded. Kubernetes. Apache Spark. Why is Log4j only now getting the support it needs?

Reactions: sideshowuniqueuser

FreedomPenguin

Suspended
Aug 18, 2021
I'm waiting for all the rabbid open-source fans to tell us open-source is much safer than closed-source.

It's not that simple. open-source CAN be safer, it can also be less safe. In open-source, the exact code is out there for anyone to look at. This means anyone could see any flaws and fix them. It also means that anyone could see any flaws and exploit them.

In closed-source, you can't see the code. It's a much different process to exploit the code. Much harder. There are also less people who have access to the code to fix any flaws. So, flaws will stick around longer.

It's not simple.
I don’t want open sourced anything and will pay more to keep apple locked in. Those who want open source can go to Android.

That’s final.

Reactions: DanTSX
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.