Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

earblast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
This from one rumor site:

> Apple buying Avid? Along with the numerous hints that the big news at MWSF will be related to wireless video, we've heard from multiple sources that Apple may have already closed the deal on the acquisition of at least one major video hardware developer. Avid has widely been frequently mentioned as the strongest possibility, but since Avid sources are mum on the subject,confirmation is lacking.

Interesting in that Microsoft sold their entire Softimage division to AVID a couple of years ago. At that time Microsoft received 5% of AVID I believe with an agreement not to purchase anymore shares for 5 years.

This would move Apple in to the established high end video editing market.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Uhhh, Apple is already in the "high end video market" with Final Cut Pro. It works with more than DV you know.
I see the point though, but it doesn't really make sense either since Avid is definitely on the decline as the preferred edit suite choice.

earblast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
I guess the definition of high end is pretty much open to interpretation....however not one of our clients has ever requested FCP over AVID. Not that it's not a great product. it is...it's just not nearly an AVID as far as speed and functionalty. I remember the same arguements when we added our first AVID Suite...those that said it's not high-end enough to compete with online suites. One day perhaps....if I was Apple and could afford to purchase my chief competitor in a market I am trying to penetrate?????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.