Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced over $250 million of investment to enhance its campus in Singapore's Ang Mo Kio district, where it has earmarked new roles in artificial intelligence and other key functions.

singapore-campus.jpg

Apple is framing the initiative as a continuation of Apple's long-standing engagement in the region, which started in 1981 with a small team of 72 employees focusing on the Apple II. Today, the Singapore campus serves as a central hub for Apple in Asia, with a workforce of more than 3,600 contributing across all company functions including software, hardware, services, and customer support. The country is also home to three Apple Store locations.
"Singapore is truly a one-of-a-kind place, and we are proud of the connection we've built with this dynamic community of creators, learners, and dreamers," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "With our growing campus, Apple is writing a new chapter in our history here. Our Singapore teams have played an important role in enriching the lives of our customers — and we can't wait for many more decades of innovation to come."
Apple says the investment will focus on upgrading two buildings next to Apple's existing facilities, integrating them into a unified campus that encourages collaboration among teams. This follows a decade of upgrades and expansion, including a 50% increase in the hardware technologies center since 2019.

The expanded campus will be powered entirely by renewable energy sources and aims for LEED Gold certification to align with its global commitment to sustainability, according to the company. Apple has been carbon neutral for its corporate operations since 2020 and has utilized 100% renewable energy since 2018.

Construction is expected to begin later this year. Apple says its presence supports over 60,000 jobs in Singapore through direct employment, its supply chain, and the iOS app economy, while the company collaborates with local educational institutions to foster innovation and technological development.

Article Link: Apple to Invest $250M+ in Singapore Campus to Expand AI Roles

Last edited:

ELman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
I would like to see the Environmental Progress Report for this country?

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Must be nice to work in a place like that, all the trees, gardens, cafes. But must be scary knowing the gates to get in won't open for you if you get fired.
The law is really strict in Singapore. You couldn't pay a chaotic guy like me enough to live in there.😣
It's the AI uplift I have a problem with.

Also I am Asian.
I thought John Connor was white.😁
anBn

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
"Apple is framing the initiative as a continuation of Apple's long-standing engagement in the region, which started in 1981 with a small team of 72 employees focusing on the Apple II. Today, the Singapore campus serves as a central hub for Apple in Asia, with a workforce of more than 3,600 contributing across all company functions including software, hardware, services, and customer support."

Emphasis with bold and underline above was me.

So much for "Designed in California, assembled in China" stamped on everything Apple sells. I'm sure not all 3,600 employees in this 1 campus outside the USA is "designing" Apple stuff but I bet you a good percentage are. Afterall, it does say "across all company functions" and last time I checked, R&D was a company function.

Maybe Apple defines "Designed in California" as "Products that the Executive Leadership Team ask the rest of the company to create. Example: Build a phone. Example 2: We need a new version of the iPhone this year."

jb310

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2017
AI is great, but I wonder if they'll expand manufacturing into Singapore. 👀

TruthAboveAllElse

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2023
Musk can’t even get Tesla to function and Ive and ChatGPT Altman tried along with a large contingent of investors for the Humane AI PIN and reviews say “it’s the worst product they’ve ever reviewed” so don’t get your hopes up.
Ive didn't have anything to do with the AI Pin that I am aware of. There are rumors of him and Altman working on a future project together.

Reactions: SFjohn

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The law is really strict in Singapore. You couldn't pay a chaotic guy like me enough to live in there.😣

I thought John Connor was white.😁
anBn
I'd live across the border of Malaysia in Muar and go to work in Singapore.

I knew quite a few Malaysians and Singaporeans and I couldn't believe all the crazy stuff that happens in Singapore.

It is a good place for business. Creative, the sound card people, had their headquarters there for years.

Reactions: Riff_Raff

turbo79

macrumors member
May 24, 2006
Good on Apple. Singapore is the new Hong Kong, and it educates its young to a very high standard, so I imagine we'll see the campus grow over the years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.