Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
What we need to know 100% is whether the French have actually changed the testing process from the original! If they have than it's much a do about nothing, if they haven't than Apple have some serious questions to answer.
I'm also confused about the software upgrades being the culprit, why haven't they affected the Pro's & the Mini ?

The Pro's and Mini are not "affected" because the results are not peer-reviewed in any way.

That alone should already raise some red flags on the testing that was done.

ApostolisApo

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
Gothenburg
So much for Apple denying the claims then... this is all they had to do from the beginning not be drama Karen's about it.
I bet it's literally a 5 minute fix to the code.
This is only in your mind...
Releasing the hotfix has to do with complying with regulations not with acknowledging a danger.
Non-ionizing radiation is safe.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Oh, how they play with the wording... they choose "specific testing protocol" instead of "electromagnetic waves". Even if there are no safety concerns, the fact they avoid saying waves is pretty hypocritical. There's an overwhelming abuse of using language as a façade nowadays.

Hardly. Devices are tested using a standard methodology to verify compliance, so "specific testing protocol" is the proper way to describe what was done.

…seems software related patches did not go through radiation re-testing, Apple seems confident enough to bypass this, shame

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Maybe they assumed the software changes wouldn't affect power output and thus didn't test. It's also possible they did and the results were in compliance.

What France did is they held the device next to the measurement. I don't know about you guys but I also hold the phone to my ear when I speak to it. Not 5-10mm away from it but literally touching the ear.

However, if that differed from the initial test regimen then claiming the device no longer is compliant is a bit of regulatory overreach.

We do not know if any changes were made to how the device was tested, so it's hard to say what actually changed.

Hopefully they don't bicker about who's right and wrong, but look at the safety of the public and make sure the devices are safe.

Even with the higher levels the device output is well below the safe limit.

What we need to know 100% is whether the French have actually changed the testing process from the original! If they have than it's much a do about nothing, if they haven't than Apple have some serious questions to answer.

Good point. That was not clear. It's possible the specified testing protocol was updated and teh new one changed some parameters that resulted in higher readings.

I'm also confused about the software upgrades being the culprit, why haven't they affected the Pro's & the Mini ?

Hard to say. One possibility is the design is better shielded and thus, even with increased output, never exceed the legal limit.

So you would have to argue that the iPhone 12 had much worst reception at launch.

However, that was the reception users paid for. I suspect we'll see claims of "My iPhone doesn't work anymore" and "Apple's trying to force us to buy new iPhones" even if the change in reception is imperceptable. People will think it is bad because they heard Apple lowered the modem power; even if that isn't the case.

At certain levels. Cell phones? Sure (note 1) I'd hardly call exposure to say, a microwave oven level safe. Or a radar array; both of which are non-ionizing radiation.

Yes, I am being pedantic, but as an engineer who has worked with various types of radiation I am careful about how I use the word safe.

Note 1: Although maybe prolonged low level exposure causes brain damage, so 30 plus years of use may explain the rise of Trump, Le Pen, AfD, etc...

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Maybe reducing emissions will improve battery life?

After all, these emissions (plus, of course, light, heat and sound) are all powered by the battery. Reduce the emissions then, simplistically, you might expect battery usage to drop. Not enough information to calculate by how much.

Last edited:

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
What France did is they held the device next to the measurement. I don't know about you guys but I also hold the phone to my ear when I speak to it. Not 5-10mm away from it but literally touching the ear.

Hopefully they don't bicker about who's right and wrong, but look at the safety of the public and make sure the devices are safe.
If you read some of the articles about this, the issue only arose when using the phone in a pocket or while holding it away from the body. When used by the head, like typical use, the non-ionizing radiation levels were within limits. It was only in a couple of use cases (using while in a pocket and holding away from the head) where absorptions were a little high.

Independent scientists say it’s not a big deal. France says it's not a big deal. The EU simply has particular cutoffs and the iPhone 12 was a little higher than the cutoffs on a couple of tests. It passed everything years ago when released so something changed. Apple's doing a software fix to move on from this. Easier to do that than fight this.

Here’s the Washington Post article about it (this shouldn’t be being a paywall):

France is making a big deal out of nothing. Rules are rules so I understand them with this but that doesn't mean the particular rules are correct.

The AP article giving context: https://apnews.com/article/france-apple-iphone-radiation-b51b82309100f959c83a2a19536dc934

Last edited:

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
You're holding it wrong !
Funny you should say that: “France’s digital minister said the iPhone 12’s radiation levels are still much lower than levels that scientific studies consider could harm users, and the agency itself acknowledges that its tests don’t reflect typical phone use.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
If the material of the antenna weakens over time, the signal strength of the RF signals reduces over time so to combat this the software of the phone is tweaked to increase the RF power of the phone. The RF power of the phone will have to be reduced so that it falls back within EU limits. The problem is is that it will weaken the signal strength of the phone. No longer will users see full signal strength bars on their phone unless they are in very close proximity to a mobile phone cell tower. It would also lead to dropped calls as people move around the country because the reduced RF power would mean it might not be possible for the iphone 12 to maintain constant contact with mobile phone cell towers.

Reactions: Chuckeee

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
If you read some of the articles about this, the issue only arose when using the phone in a pocket or while holding it away from your body. When used by the head, the non-ionizing radiation levels were within limits. It was only in a couple of use cases (using while in a pocket and holding away from the head).

Independent scientists say it’s not a big deal. France says it's not a big deal. The EU simply has particular cutoffs and the iPhone 12 was a little higher than the cutoffs on a couple of tests. It passed everything years ago when released.

Here’s the Washington Post article about it (this shouldn’t be being a paywall):

France is making a big deal out of nothing.

The AP article giving context: https://apnews.com/article/france-apple-iphone-radiation-b51b82309100f959c83a2a19536dc934
Thanks, I must have read different articles.

What I read was that typically measurements are done with small distance to the test subject, and that's what the standards require, but the French being French do it their own way and that was without the gap.

I do have some concerns about these devices in general especially holding to the head etc so happy if there's more public discourse and less blindly trusting the tech giants. I'm sure they also do their best to make the devices safe, but they also have other priorities.

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Considering there is zero evidence to suggest the EM waves in the cellphone spectrum pose any risk whatsoever (and plenty to support that they don’t), the devices ARE safe.
There couldn't be any long-term evidence as we've only used this kind of devices for a short time. It's really the longterm exposure especially with the heavy usage as people are hooked on them.

CDC also says that we don't know. History is packed with inventions that were found unsafe later on when the evidence mounted over the longer term. Hopefully that's not the case here, but better to err on side of caution.

We don’t know for sure if RF radiation from cell phones can cause health problems years later. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified RF radiation as a “possible human carcinogen.”

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
This is only in your mind...
Releasing the hotfix has to do with complying with regulations not with acknowledging a danger.
Actually Apples initial response was reported on this site yesterday, so it wasn’t in ‘my mind’ at all. And I do not care what levels are actually safe and have not argued that, my point is it is a fact Apple breached legal regulated allowed levels.

Reactions: canonical

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Oh, how they play with the wording... they choose "specific testing protocol" instead of "electromagnetic waves". Even if there are no safety concerns, the fact they avoid saying waves is pretty hypocritical. There's an overwhelming abuse of using language as a façade nowadays.
No it's not, it's just a real world realisation that things like 'electromagentic waves' and 'radiation' aren't understood by most people beyond their negative connotations.

If I posted that I'd discovered that when I used the torch on my iPhone, it was emitting electromagnetic radiation in the 380-700nm range, detectable over 100 meters away, all hell would break lose.

rp100

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
Apple failed to bribe the appropriate parties and had a sanction issued. After making the required payment, a news release indicated that a “software fix” would be issued. Nothing is ever what it seems…

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
Radiation concerns?

lts a feature: Leave you’re phone behind? You can still light up the night with Apple iGlow.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
So do you agree with the French regulators that the iPhone presents an unacceptable health hazard to users?

The ANFR said there was no health hazard but that since the device exceeded the allowable limits it must be either brought into specification or recalled.

canonical

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Apple's response of fixing the problem in France, but nowhere else, is absurd. This is going to blow out of control and turn into a huge embarrassment for Apple, not unlike the VW scandal. OH - we are so safe - we make watches that can tell if your heart is having a tremor, but our iPhones fail basic radiation safety tests.
Next, watch how every Euro nation runs the same test as the Frrench, and requires the same fix, in every jursidiction. Then, people in the UK will want to know why Apple has to fix their product on mainland Europe, but not in the UK. And so on. Eventually, the fix will be worldwide anyway. Where's that BIG MAMMA Mother Nature lady now?

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
Not sure the EU / France will be satisfied with this solution. Sounds like a reversed "Dieselgate" of VW
As long as it remains implemented on the device when used by the customer versus being triggered by the connection of the testing equipment, it's different. Just another electronic governor that throttles performance to meet regulatory standards.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Apple's response of fixing the problem in France, but nowhere else, is absurd.

It's only "absurd" if France's radiation concerns are deemed valid and justified by other countries. Maybe France is being overly and unnecessarily cautious about the radiation levels. Maybe their conclusions are wrong. I'm not saying they are or aren't but why should their rules/regulations automatically have to be applied to other countries especially if the consequences of doing so (the software update) can make the iPhone experience worse for users?

What's absurd is for you to suggest that just because one country, like France, says something that is should be gospel for all other countries.

The fix will likely be rolled out to other countries who determine that the concerns are valid (perhaps after doing their own testing and assessments) but there's no reason to do it before then.

canonical

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Belgium and Germany are both already investigating the RF radiation issue with Apple iPhone 12.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.