Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
The 12" iPad and the 12" MackBook are the same product. Instead of the current hinge designs used by all laptops, it could have a slider that folds the screen with it facing outwards, when it switches from OS X to iOS.

Just a guess.

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Dec 6, 2009
The article states that it will initially be targeted at business customers. Life is not so black and white as you suggest. Who would have thought that restaurants would replace their paper menus with iPads. I can see a 12" iPad being used as a touch screen info point in shops. The possibilities are endless.

----------

What stronghold? Look at the sales figures. Nobody is buying the Surface.

Apple needs to keep up with the Android devices. Samsung already has

a 12" tablet on the market.

Fact: besides the Mac Pro, none of Apple's products are dominated by business markets. The opposite is true of Microsoft in that most of their products are used mostly by businesses. It's pretty black and white with SOME gray area sure.

----------

See my post three items above yours.

Fair enough, but Apple doesn't make products like these in hopes to sell a few. And so far you definitely seem like the minority. You also did not mention what particular use you would have for a larger iPad that your current one couldn't accomplish. Since I don't know who you are or what your needs are, my question still stands: who is this for?!

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Fact: besides the Mac Pro, none of Apple's products are dominated by business markets. The opposite is true of Microsoft in that most of their products are used mostly by businesses. It's pretty black and white with SOME gray area sure.

The article was about tablets in business. The sales figures show that MS has not been successful in gaining a foothold with their Surface tablet. In contrast 98% of Fortune 500 companies are using the iPad. I would say that was a pretty dominate position.

----------

The 12" iPad and the 12" MackBook are the same product. Instead of the current hinge designs used by all laptops, it could have a slider that folds the screen with it facing outwards, when it switches from OS X to iOS. Just a guess.

I'm of the same view. It would certainly make sense to have a hybrid laptop/tablet product sitting in between the iPad and the MBP. Docked it would function as a MBA. Take the screen off and it would function as a tablet. Given that OSX is not optimised for tablets and I think a dual boot solution would prove confusing for customers my guess is that they would go with iOS.

aaronsullivan

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Rochester, NY
I suppose we should be calling this the iPad Plus now?

Maybe. But I hope it's still the "Pro" version of the iPad. In other words, I hope it allows for more niche features that professionals would pay for. Really, I just want an awesome stylus system so it can become the best drawing tablet possible. :D To me "plus" as defined by the iPhone 6 Plus means just big enough to be more like an iPad, "Pro" means don't bother unless you are serious.

RHustler

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2012
Edinburgh, Scotland
Maybe. But I hope it's still the "Pro" version of the iPad. In other words, I hope it allows for more niche features that professionals would pay for. Really, I just want an awesome stylus system so it can become the best drawing tablet possible. :D To me "plus" as defined by the iPhone 6 Plus means just big enough to be more like an iPad, "Pro" means don't bother unless you are serious.

I'd go with that -there are all sorts of things that could make a large tab more of a 'Pro' item for creative types - some Apple wouldn't implement directly (pressure sensitive - leave that to Wacom et al) and some they might.

One option I see as quite Apple-like is the ability have apps spanning devices - you could have your drawing surface on the iPad Pro and your tools and panels on another iOs device (iPhone, iPad Mini etc), or if you are working on a zoomed-in area your other device could show the zoomed-out view - this functionality seems to me to be an obvious extension of Handoff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.