Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
I mean very few people WANT to work. We do it because we need to in order to make money. Seems pretty reasonable for a company to require it’s employees to you know show up. This was the norm pre pandemic across industries. Apple isn’t doing anything outside the ordinary here don’t see why it’s news.
Work, the poor man's friend and philosopher's enemy - P.G. Wodehouse

Reactions: Weisswurstsepp

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
It’s not brain surgery here folks. You are more productive being at work. There are just way too many distractions at home. The only distractions at work are the occasional weekend warrior stories from a mildly annoying select few that only lasts about 5-10 minutes anyway then it’s back to your monitors.

says who? you have proven evidence to back your claim up i presume?

i can tell you that being in the office was a physical distraction due to people always coming up to ask you a question, stopping your thought process in what you were actually doing.

schneeland

macrumors regular
May 22, 2017
Darmstadt, Germany
So the strategy is: we don't lay off people, we make them quit on their own? ;)

More seriously: there's definitely a trend back to the office, but even considering that, mandating three non-consecutive days of presence seems like a needlessly painful implementation - if they want 4 days in the office, they should just require that (I personally find offices overrated, especially in multi-national teams where you spend a lot of the time on the phone anyway, but I guess it's fair to say that WFH works better for some people than for others).

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
you think iOS wasn't buggy before 2020?
you have selective memory if you believe that

iOS 15 brought focus mode and iPad widgets while iOS 16 got us a very buggy stage manager and external monitor support was delayed till the end of last year.

Not saying iOS has always been bug free, but you don’t think the last 2 years have been more lacklustre than usual? There also appears to be a pattern where purely software-based features (like focus mode) seem to roll out okay, while those that are dependent on hardware (like universal control) seemed to face more delays. That’s possibly also one limitation of working from home where you may have direct access to the hardware you are working on.

People here may need to be prepared that the tradeoffs to Apple employees working from home might be longer product cycles and a slower pace of innovation overall, and maybe complain less about it as a result?

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
would be interested to see productivity stats for when someone is in the office or at home.
i can tell you that i'm way more productive since i've been working from home since March 2020.
less distractions, can focus more, no travel time etc etc.

the reasons why some companies and governments want people back in the office is solely to support the surrounding businesses that benefit from having people in that location - local shops/coffee houses, public transport etc etc

This largely depends on the nature of your work and your personal life circumstances. For some people with children & families living in tight spaces going to work is exactly what is needed to change air and be more focused & productive. Also, some people (like me) enjoy travelling to work. So lots of variables at play, making it very difficult to find a perfect scenario for all.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
might be longer product cycles and a slower pace of innovation overall

that's not a bad thing.
take more time to get things right first, rather than announcing lots of stuff at keynotes and then not launching them until 6-12 months later.

Reactions: xpxp2002

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
This largely depends on the nature of your work and your personal life circumstances. For some people with children & families living in tight spaces going to work is exactly what is needed to change air and be more focused & productive. Also, some people (like me) enjoy travelling to work. So lots of variables at play, making it very difficult to find a perfect scenario for all.

so the solution would be to allow those that work better from home to continue to do so and those that want to use office can do that.

that seems a better solution that forcing everyone to at least 3 days in a physical location that might not be the most productive environment.

no-one is forcing anyone to work from home if they don't want to.

anyway, none of this would fly in the UK, as we have laws that mean companies have to allow flexible working where possible, and quite powerful employment rights.

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018

Apple is tracking the attendance of its employees at offices using badge records in order to ensure they are coming in at least three times a week, according to Platformer's Zoë Schiffer.

apple-park-at-night-1.jpg

Since April 2022, Apple employees have been operating on a hybrid home/office work policy as part of a gradual return strategy following the pandemic, with staff required to work from the office at least three days per week.

Employees are required to be in the office on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, with most able to work remotely on Wednesdays and Fridays. However, it appears that Apple is doubling down on this strategy as it looks for ways across the company to cut costs.

In a post on Twitter, Schiffer said that Apple is now actively tracking in-person attendance using badge records and will give employees "escalating warnings" if they don't come in the required three times per week.

According to Schiffer, some Apple offices have even warned staff that failure to comply could result in job termination, although that "doesn't appear to be a company-wide policy."

The development follows a recent report by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman in which he outlined several cost-cutting measures being newly enacted by Apple, including managers becoming "as strict as ever" about office attendance, with some staff believing it to be a harbinger of Apple firing employees who don't meet the requirement.

In this regard, Gurman has also reported an overlap in retail stores, with Apple taking a closer look at work attendance and hours, and the company ditching its "special sick time" for time missed due to Covid, asking staff to use their normal sick time instead.

According to the report, Apple isn't always filling positions when employees leave, suggesting the crackdown on staff who do not fulfill the in-person work requirements is at least in part one aspect of its wider strategy to cut costs while avoiding the sort of mass layoffs that have recently befallen other tech giants, including Meta, Microsoft, Google, and Amazon.

Article Link: Apple 'Tracking Employee Attendance' in Crackdown on Remote Working
Judging by Apples upgrades in the past year, they should sack half their employees, it's become all about employees not the customers and they're slowly losing ground, through lazy employees you get lazy upgrades 😏

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Are they? That depends on what the meeting is for, as meetings are a big drain on productivity, and are best avoided entirely. This rule by Apple smacks of corporate executives thinking that what works for their job is best for everybody. The decision as to remote or not should have been left to team managers.

Yes they are

• Haha
Reactions: LeahJoFoxtrot

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018
would be interested to see productivity stats for when someone is in the office or at home.
i can tell you that i'm way more productive since i've been working from home since March 2020.
less distractions, can focus more, no travel time etc etc.

the reasons why some companies and governments want people back in the office is solely to support the surrounding businesses that benefit from having people in that location - local shops/coffee houses, public transport etc etc
If true? You're a 1 in 10 at best 😏
Lets hope for you, your employer doesn't see you productivity levels differently

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Lead the charge to normalcy as it was pre Covid.

who decides what "normal" is?
someone originally devices that mon-fri 9-530 was "normal", but clearly even that hasn't been "normal" for many decades.

what is "normal" evolves with time. companies that fail to evolve to a new "normal" eventually realise once it's too late for them.

Reactions: xpxp2002
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.