Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Onemorethatsit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2023
IMG_1076.jpeg
I have a hard time believing this “updated” trade in value for my iPhone 14 PM.

“Cracked chin plate”? I thought the newer iPhones did not have a chin plate?

Also not sure how I can prove the iPhone I sent in was in pristine condition. I let my Apple care expire while waiting 3 weeks for the quote…

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1076.jpeg
    IMG_1076.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 47

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I always take pictures of any device I sent in for trade just for that reason alone. I’m always worried I’m going to get scammed by a trade in company because it happened to me before with an Amazon trade about 10 years ago.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I've always traded in my devices at the Apple Store and have never had an issue. You get credit immediately and no BS.. Took around 15 minutes to run diagnostics and inspect the device..

Onemorethatsit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2023
I've always traded in my devices at the Apple Store and have never had an issue. You get credit immediately and no BS.. Took around 15 minutes to run diagnostics and inspect the device..
It was the Apple trade in store by mail FYI

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
It was the Apple trade in store by mail FYI
If you traded it in person at the store you should of received the trade in value immediately.. There wouldn't of been any waiting till after it was mailed in. If you sent it in by mail, the device doesn't go to Apple, it goes to a 3rd party refurbish company that Apple uses to handle mail in devices.. There have been many threads on this forum stating they were going through the exact BS you're going through now when mailing in

Last edited:

Onemorethatsit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2023
If you traded it in person at the store you should of received the trade in value immediately.. There wouldn't have been any waiting till after it was mailed in. If you sent it in by mail, the device doesn't go to Apple, it goes to a 3rd party refurbish company that Apple uses to handle mail in devices.. There have been many threads on this forum stating they were going through the exact BS you're going through now when mailing in
Trade was done through Apple but through their mail in program.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Trade was done through Apple but through their mail in program.
Apple's mail in isn't Apple is what all of us are trying to tell you.. They use a company called Phobio which doesn't have the best track record.. Apple doesn't own them they just have an agreement to take mail in trade ins from them. Apple never sees your device if you mail it in, it goes directly to Phobio..

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Apple's mail in isn't Apple is what all of us are trying to tell you.. They use a company called Phobio which doesn't have the best track record.. Apple doesn't own them they just have an agreement to take mail in trade ins from them. Apple never sees your device if you mail it in, it goes directly to Phobio..
One thing i've learned since getting scammed by the 3rd party company Amazon was using and still maybe using is that the higher the trade-in price, the higher the averages go up that you could get scammed by a trade-in company. As was mentioned, it's best to get a trade-in price locked in and verified by Apple employees.

Google sends their phones to the company owned by uBreakiFix and that came from an employee at one of their stores I visited. I have sent in two phones to them and so far I haven't been scammed but I take pictures before sending it off so I can show them as proof in the event I get scammed.

My guess is that the phone got damaged unintentionally by them either when it arrived or while they were handling it and just used the excuse that the person who sent it in did the damage before they received it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.