Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
FYI: Apple reduced its trade-in offer for 2013 Mac Pro from $630 to $480 as of May 2nd. Must me a lot of folks upgrading to Mac Studio (me included).

Sad to think such a gorgeous machine is probably being just being scrapped and melted down. On second thought, I may just hang on to mine to add to my bookshelf of cool looking old gadgets (iPod Classic, Palm V, Sony-Ericsson K790, Ti-85).

Reactions: R2FX

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I kinda miss mine. Was definitely the coolest looking Mac I ever owned. Assuming it gets dropped from upcoming macOS 13 support, I imagine second hand prices will continue to fall.

I remember when it was introduced and they showed off the six(!) Thunderbolt 2 ports + HDMI. I thought 'wow this thing will be cutting edge for at least 10 years!'.

scottrngr

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2015
I still have my 2013 Pro. I will use as a backup to my new Studio. It will probably end up on a shelf though. I wish I would've kept my G4 Cube to go along side it.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
FYI: Apple reduced its trade-in offer for 2013 Mac Pro from $630 to $480 as of May 2nd. Must me a lot of folks upgrading to Mac Studio (me included).

Nope. Apple not wanting to take on increased inflation costs of processing and generally pushing for higher margins for themselves.

They dropped values on almost everything.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/05/05/apple-lowers-trade-in-values-for-macs-ipads-more/

I don't think Apple is even trying to stay close to used market pricing so as not to really impeded the 3rd party used markets out there.

Mainly these systems are going to recycling. Melt them down and make new Macs with them.

For systems that businesses have 'written down to zero" don't really need want money as would have to pay taxes on the gain. If the roll-over from a trade-in to new is covered by the news system's first year tax write off then also less of an issue.

Sad to think such a gorgeous machine is probably being just being scrapped and melted down.

Folks don't have to sell them to Apple. It is not anywhere close to a situation where Apple will get into a bidder war with someone else to buy it. They throw out a super lowball price . But Apple does need a steady supply of recycled metal since new are tasked with a certain amount of 'recycled' metrics they have to meet. Is there an easier path of doing a metal to metal transfer for a MP 2013 and a Studio or a MPB 13" to a new MBP 13" ?

On second thought, I may just hang on to mine to add to my bookshelf of cool looking old gadgets (iPod Classic, Palm V, Sony-Ericsson K790, Ti-85).

In 50 years the price might be higher as a collectible. :)

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

Sad to think such a gorgeous machine is probably being just being scrapped and melted down. On second thought, I may just hang on to mine to add to my bookshelf of cool looking old gadgets (iPod Classic, Palm V, Sony-Ericsson K790, Ti-85).
I just tried it through Apple Australia and got:

"This device isn’t currently accepted for trade in."

This isn't a low spec iMac, it's the maximum spec 2.7ghz 12 core Mac Pro with Dual D700 and 1TB SSD, 64GB ram....

The USA Apple people want to give me $810... I'll keep it.

Reactions: R2FX and richmlow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.