Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ouneday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2021
I have an issue w Apple and was looking for some advice: I recently upgraded to the 13 pro iPhone (I upgrade annually w the Apple Upgrade program) I received my trade in kit and sealed up the phone and took it to my local FedEx Shipping station only to receive this email from Apple: “ When we received your trade-in kit, there was no device inside the box. If this was intended, or if you've already contacted us concerning this issue, disregard this email. Otherwise, it's important that you reply with the following information as soon as possible:
  • The exact item(s) you placed inside the return packaging
  • A detailed description of how you packaged and sealed the goods inside”

Now this is completely frustrating as who the heck would ship only a box back!? It’s obvious to me that somewhere from the point of shipping to the point of checking the phone and only seeing a box that someone stole the phone.
Any ideas on what I can do? If it’s a third party what’s to stop them from flunking phones or reporting this kind of scenario and keeping good product?

So disappointed,
Justin

• Wow
Reactions: russell_314

prss14

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2009
Kentucky
Received the same message recently when I traded mine in. I just replied with the asked for info detailing which iPhone I turned in. By the next morning received an email saying it was received and fine. Hopefully, that is what happens in your case.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
There have been more than enough of these sort of stories, shipments lost, empty boxes or damaged phones.

I for one will not use the ship-back trade-in again, I got lucky my one and only time with my 13PM. I will only take back in person to an Apple Store from now on.

Reactions: JM and Quackers

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I’m planning to trade in my wife’s phone later this year towards a 13 Pro, but with all the stories of how terrible Apple’s trade in program partners are, coupled with seemingly rampant mail theft, I may actually drive a couple of hours to my nearest Apple store to do it in person (or just flip the phone on FB marketplace instead).

Reactions: Hunter5117

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I may actually drive a couple of hours to my nearest Apple store to do it in person (or just flip the phone on FB marketplace instead).
I have always sold my phones or passed them down, but the $800 trade-in on my 12PM was too good to pass up. First time I traded in but if they keep offering deals like that then I will likely do it again.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I have always sold my phones or passed them down, but the $800 trade-in on my 12PM was too good to pass up. First time I traded in but if they keep offering deals like that then I will likely do it again.
Yeah, mines in the opposite camp, I’ve never traded in my phone before, and her 7 is basically worthless (in mint condition but the battery health is trashed). It seems like a private sale would only net me an extra $20 or so, making Apples trade in price a nice guarantee.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
As humans, we really are something, aren't we? If I need to do a trade in, I might have to merely do so via my carrier, AT&T, versus Apple. A tad bit frustrating to read stories like this...

Roadboss

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
Here's a twist on this scenario. Using ATT trade in program with my iPhone X. They received it and then said the screen was broken and didn't turn on and had burn in. My phone was in pristine condition. Phone call to ATT and I was assured I would receive the full $800 credit. They wanted to issue a $145 gift card credit. Since it hasnt been credited to my account yet I have no way of knowing whether this is correct or not. Stay tuned...

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Damn that sucks. Hopefully it all gets sorted out. I’m lucky and trade-in went smoothly last to upgrades.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Rather interesting. Clearly I need to only do things like this in person...

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I may actually drive a couple of hours to my nearest Apple store to do it in person (or just flip the phone on FB marketplace instead).
I was told that I had to mail it in and trading it in at the Apple Store was not an option. I bought my new 13 Pro Max at the Apple Store so doing the trade in there would have been the easiest option for me. I didn't have any problems with my trade in but I was worried about what if somehow they said the phone wasn't in the box. I would much rather do an in person trade in.

I'm pretty sure these are rare occurrences because out of tens of thousands of trade ins some are going to have issues. As always no one is going to make a post if everything went perfect so we only hear about it when it goes bad.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I was told that I had to mail it in and trading it in at the Apple Store was not an option.
I have seen this comment before. It seems that the Apple phone support says this, but if you actually take it into an Apple store, they are more than willing to take the trade-in on the spot. Not sure if this is everywhere but I have seen this discussed recently.

Reactions: russell_314

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I have seen this comment before. It seems that the Apple phone support says this, but if you actually take it into an Apple store, they are more than willing to take the trade-in on the spot. Not sure if this is everywhere but I have seen this discussed recently.
That's because if you initiate a trade in online it has to go through or you need to cancel it which can or cannot be done sometimes depending on the situation so you'll need to call Apple. Basically the trade in tags the serial number so if you take it in to the store and they look it up it's ineligible. Been there, done that at least twice.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
I traded in two 11 Pros (mine and my wife's) in store. I ordered my 13 Pro during preorders and had it delivered. I bought my wife's 13 Pro in store. They gladly accepted the trade in devices and issues full credit on the spot. Same with the Apple Watch Series 7. Ordered it online for store pickup and dropped off my Series 4 for the $100 credit. No problems or pushback of any kind.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
Here's a twist on this scenario. Using ATT trade in program with my iPhone X. They received it and then said the screen was broken and didn't turn on and had burn in. My phone was in pristine condition. Phone call to ATT and I was assured I would receive the full $800 credit. They wanted to issue a $145 gift card credit. Since it hasnt been credited to my account yet I have no way of knowing whether this is correct or not. Stay tuned...
Those morons. I purchased an iPhone 11 Pro during a sweet deal. Turn in an iPhone 7 or newer and as long as you are a new customer, unlimited data, and phone in good condition, they offered $1000 ($700 in bill credits and a $300 VISA gift card). We got two. Essentially selling our iPhone 7’s for $1000 EACH.

I confirmed by phone and IN PERSON twice for each phone that we met the requirements and the phones were in good condition and that we could make two purchases. I recorded the phone and in-person conversations AND screenshotted the deals on their websites with the fine print. Took 3 months for the bill credits to kick in ~ whatever…

Then, never got the gift cards. Months go by, I call to ask and they assure me they are coming. They never do. 6 months in I call and raise a fuss (never raising my voice) and they ALL (supervisors included) claim that deal never existed. Fought tooth and nail speaking with a dozen departments and customer service would just hang up on me (leading to a new call.) without those screenshots or recorded conversations I would be up a creek. A guy FINALLY said he had a button where he could send 2 $250 visa gift cards and I cut my losses… criminal. Criminal. But if you can’t tell, I’ve been up that creek before and I cover my bases. They lied their way out of $100.

I wish I could call them and say that I never agreed to pay them every month.

word to the wise, if it’s a sweet deal - or if it’s Verizon/ATT at all - screenshot everything and record if your state doesn’t require 2 party consent. The calls always warn it’s being recorded anyway, so either way you should be able to record that…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.